Students will experience two hands-on, minds-on, cross-curricular, standards-aligned activities led by their teacher(s), and a Virtual Theater Experience. STEM Center staff will lead the Virtual Theater experience.
Each activity can accommodate 25-30 students, led by one or more teachers.
Total capacity is 75-100 students, requiring three to four teachers, during one E(x)PEDITION.
An E(x)PEDITION is approximately 3 ½ - 4 hours in length and can be tailored to accommodate a variety of arrival and departure times. E(x)PEDITIONs are scheduled throughout the months of May and August.
15 minutes: Welcome & Orientation
50 minutes: Activity 1
50 minutes: Activity 2
50 minutes: Activity 3
Though lunch is not provided as part of the program, we can schedule a lunch break and have refrigeration on-site in which to store sack lunches and beverages.
- ARRANGE bus transportation to and from the STEM Center for teachers and students.
- BRING a minimum of 1 teacher per 25 students. At least 2 teachers MUST be trained STEM Center User Group members or Level 2 E(x)peditioneers.
- PROVIDE lunches and beverages for each student participant and yourself (if needed).
- LEAD the hands-on activities for your students.
- MANAGE students while they are guests of the Oakley STEM Center.
STEM Center Responsibilities
- DEVELOP three activities/labs that are grade-appropriate and Tennessee Curriculum standards aligned.
- SUPPLY materials, equipment, and learning studios as appropriate for the activities.
- MAKE AVAILABLE “lab” instructions or activity sheets for each hands-on project.
- FURNISH lab aids including visuals, handouts, PowerPoint presentations, and other learning aids as required for the activity.
- PROVIDE STEM Center support staff to assist with the hands-on activities and technology in the learning studios.
NOTE: Though STEM Center staff is available for support, it is the teachers’ responsibility to lead the hands-on components of the field trip (based on their training and experience through the STEM Center User Group program or or Level 2 E(x)peditioneer Training).
STEM Center User Group Members or Level 2 E(x)peditioneers Make Reservations for Your Class soon!
FREE E(x)PEDITION Field Trips for K-12 Graders Opening Soon
NOTE: It is a requirement that teachers attend STEM Center Level 2 E(x)pedtioneer Training in order to participate in the E(x)PEDITION Field Trip program.
What is an E(x)PEDITION Field Trip?
During the STEM Center’s E(x)PEDITIONs Field Trip program K-12 grade students participate in two (2) hands-on, minds-on, cross-curricular, standards-aligned activities; PLUS a Virtual Theater experience.
- E(x)PEDITIONs take place at the STEM Center utilizing state-of-the-art facilities, equipment, and resources.
- STEM Center User Group Members and Level 2 E(x)peditioneers are eligible to bring their students on an E(x)PEDITIONs field trip.
- STEM Center User group members and Level 2 E(x)peditioneers lead the hands-on activities for their students. STEM Center staff will lead the Virtual Theater experience.
- STEM Center User Group Members and Level 2 E(x)peditioneers are equipped to lead E(x)PEDITIONs experiences during STEM Center E(x)peditioneer Training Program, an online and three-hour, intensive professional development workshop offered by the STEM Center.
- Become a STEM Center E(x)peditioneer.