Golden Eagle Experience
Spring 2020 Advisement Tips
Next semester is probably not on your radar quite yet, but we want you to begin preparing for it! Your class scheduling for the spring will be a bit different because it won’t be completely laid out for you. We don’t want you to be overwhelmed or feel alone in this process, so we have created a checklist of things to do before, during and after your academic advisement meeting.
Before your meeting:
- Take a look at your major’s curriculum and become familiar with the requirements and prerequisites. You can find them in the 2019-2020 undergraduate catalog and your Degree Works audit.
- Pick four to six classes you may be interested in taking next semester. If you have credit hour requirements for a scholarship, make sure you have enough classes to reach those requirements.
- Set up a meeting time with your academic advisor through TechConnect. Make sure to add it to your calendar so you don’t forget, and most importantly, plan to arrive on-time!
During your meeting:
- Bring your list of desired classes and be prepared to discuss those with your advisor. Your advisor will check to make sure that you’ve completed prerequisites and may suggest alternative class options.
- Be open to your advisor’s input and discuss any questions or concerns you may have. They are here to help and guide you in the right direction.
- Communicate any long-term goals you want to discuss. This allows your advisor to better support you.
- If you’re interested in picking up a minor or even double major, take some time to ask them about those requirements. You will also want to discuss how that may impact your timeline to graduation.
- Add your finalized class choices to Schedule Planner and verify that those courses don’t overlap. Schedule Planner will create multiple schedule options, so take some time to look through them and pick the one that would work best for you. Once you’ve selected one of the schedules, add it to your registration cart to save it for registration day. (Eagle Online > Student > Registration > Schedule Planner)
- Make sure to get your Alternate PIN and registration time. Write them down so you don’t forget! You won’t be able to register for classes without it.
After your meeting:
- Feel free to email your advisor if you come up with other questions or if you have difficulties with Eagle Online or Schedule Planner.
- Double check that your desired schedule is showing up in Eagle Online from your Schedule Planner cart.
- Register for your classes right at or after your given time. Classes can will fill up quick, so don’t wait too long. If your registration time is during a class, register right after that class.
- Get excited to continue your college experience!
Advisement can be exciting and scary, but you have your advisor to walk you through the process. Take advantage of this one-on-one meeting to set yourself up for success and build a professional relationship with your advisor. They are a great resource and can provide answers to most questions. They can also connect you with other departments that may be better equipped to assist you.
If you are unsure of who your academic advisor is, you can log onto Eagle Online and follow these steps: Student > Registration > View Registration Times, Advisor, Campus Box, Confirmation Number > Select the proper semester.