Angelo & Jennette Volpe Library
Testing in the TLC is open on a limited basis for ACCUPLACER only; see "Schedule an Exam" below to sign up for ACCUPLACER.
The testing area is for examinees to take class exams, makeup exams, standardized tests, exit exams, placement tests, and other proctored exams. Students schedule exams online, and all types of exams are administered simultaneously. The testing area facilitates paper and computer-based exams.
- Location & Hours
- Faculty Information
Faculty have the option to facilitate testing in the TLC for their students; it is never mandatory for faculty to use the TLC for their class tests. The testing area cannot be reserved for a class to take an exam at a given time.
All faculty must submit exam information in RegisterBlast at least 72 hours prior to the testing date to allow time for the TLC to process the exam and for students to schedule at least 24 hours in advance. If faculty choose not to upload a copy of their paper exam in RegisterBlast, the physical copy must be delivered to the TLC the same day the information was submitted in RegisterBlast. The TLC must receive the exam before students can schedule. Faculty choose testing days but not specific times, and students select the time when they schedule online.
We are currently working with the AEC to streamline offering testing accommodations through the TLC. In the meantime, we can provide certain accommodations (see the "Accommodated Testing" bar below) through our normal procedures of faculty submitting exam information at least 72 hours prior to the testing date and students scheduling their exam at least 24 hours in advance. If this time frame does not work, or if the student needs an accommodation we cannot provide, please work with the AEC for your student's accommodation.
TN eCampus faculty will continue to submit their exams through TN eCampus.
To see who has completed an exam, click on “Students” at the top of the page once you have logged in to RegisterBlast.
Contact email@example.com or 931-372-6126 with questions.
- Schedule an Exam
After you schedule an exam, you will receive a confirmation email.
TNTECH students use this link to schedule: TNTECH RegisterBlast
Non-TNTECH students use this link to schedule: RegisterBlast for non-TNTECH students
- Cancel / Reschedule an Exam
If you wish to reschedule your exam, you must do so at least 2 hours prior to check-in time.
You must cancel your exam at least 20 hours prior to check-in time. Failure to do so will forfeit your refund of any applicable exam fees.
TNTECH students use this link: TNTECH RegisterBlast
Non-TNTECH students use this link: RegisterBlast for non-TNTECH students
- Exam Rescheduling Instructions - non-TNTECH students
- Exam Cancellation - non-TECH students: call the TLC at 931-372-6126
- Rules & Regulations
- Examinees must schedule exams in RegisterBlast at least 24 hours in advance
- Examinees must have two photo IDs; one must be a government-issued, valid ID with your signature
- Examinees must arrive at least 10 minutes before the scheduled exam time; latecomers may be required to reschedule; examinees arriving 15 minutes or more after their scheduled time must reschedule
- Proctors answer examination procedure questions only, not questions about exam content
- Examinees may only use items (scratch paper, calculators, notes, etc.) if permitted by the class instructor or exam vendor
- Items not allowed in the testing room must be stored in the TLC lockers
- Cell phones are prohibited inside the testing room and must be turned off if stored in lockers; they may not be accessed during a exam including during breaks
- Talking is not allowed in the testing area
- Students exhibiting disorderly or disruptive conduct that interferes with the normal operations of the TLC or infringes on the rights of others may be removed and/or prohibited from testing in the TLC
- Exams must be completed in one sitting (excluding breaks if allowed)
- Once complete, the exam and paper materials (scratch paper, note cards, formula sheets, etc.) will be collected by TLC personnel
- Exam Security
Examinees are continuously monitored by physical walk-throughs and/or video monitoring. Paper exams are kept in a secure, locked location before and after they are administered.
- Class exams, exit exams, and major field tests are free to Tennessee Tech students
- The university's placement exam, ACCUPLACER, costs $20 and is paid online when scheduling the exam
- Anyone can can have a exam proctored at a cost of $25 per exam, which is paid online when scheduling the exam
- Examinees taking standardized tests must pay associated fees when scheduling, which vary by exam
- If you wish to cancel your exam, you must do so 20 hours prior to check-in time. If you wish to reschedule your exam, you must do so 2 hours prior to check-in time. Failure to adhere to these timelines will result in forfeit of a refund
- Accommodated Testing
The TLC offers the following testing accommodations:
- Area where student can sit, stand, or walk
- Class notes
- Extended time
- Increased font size
- Formula sheet
- Noise-reduced area
- Private testing area
- Step out and return
Students who need other accommodations should contact the AEC.
TNTECH students: If you have registered with the AEC and have accommodations, RegisterBlast will show only the accommodations the TLC can provide.
Non-TNTECH students: If your exam is for a class, your instructor is responsible for noting any required accommodations when they submit the exam to the TLC. We can only offer the accommodations listed above.
You need to take the ACCUPLACER exam if one of the following conditions applies:
- You do not have ACT or SAT scores
- Your ACT or SAT scores are more than three years old as of your first day of classes at Tennessee Tech
- You want to challenge your placement
Your transfer credits may also affect whether or not you take the exam. Call 931-372-6126 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are not sure whether you need to take the ACCUPLACER exam.
ACCUPLACER determines students’ level of preparation for college to place them in appropriate courses. It measures preparedness in writing, reading comprehension, and math. Please see the “Fees” section for cost information.
We can accept ACCUPLACER Placement Exam scores sent directly from other schools to Tennessee Tech; we do not accept student copies as valid scores. Have the scores faxed to Tennessee Tech's Learning Support Program (LSP) at 931-372-6275.
- ACCUPLACER Test Prep Materials
Lydia Kendall, Testing & Learning Center (TLC) Director