School of Music
The School of Music offers a Bachelor's of Music in Performance for students hoping to pursue careers with orchestras, military bands, jazz bands, opera companies, musical theater, and more. Students in this option can select an emphasis in composition, instrumental, jazz, piano or vocal performance. Classes in music history, music theory, and advanced private studio instruction are combined with extensive solo, chamber, and large ensemble performance opportunities.
Instrumental, Vocal and Composition majors have graduated to a wealth of professional performance careers, including...
- recording albums for major artists in all styles, and sound tracks for major television shows, motion pictures and video games;
- being awarded the recording industry's "Certified Platinum" for more than a million albums sold;
- working as performers and conductors with many professional orchestras and opera companies, including the Vienna, Berlin and Brazil Philharmonics; the Atlanta, Baltimore, Knoxville, Nashville and London Symphony Orchestras; and the Houston Grand Opera, Lyric Opera, and Metropolitan Opera companies;
- working with touring groups and shows, for all major cruise lines, and at most major theme parks in the U.S. and in Japan and Hong Kong;
- representing membership in all of the military bands in Washington, D.C., and at West Point and Annapolis;
- performing live with dozens of the world's best-known performers and entertainers.
Performance Degree Requirements:
Students wishing to pursue a degree in Performance can select from one of the following programs: Composition, Instrumental, Jazz, Musical Theatre, Piano, or Vocal. Admission to the Performance option is by recommendation of the studio instructor.