If a student lost the Lottery Scholarship due to grades, they may be eligible to get it back. In order to do so, they must:
- Meet at least a 2.75 TELS GPA after 48 TELS attempted hours, a 3.0 TELS GPA after 72 and 96 TELS attempted hours, or a 2.75 cumulative TELS GPA and a 3.0 semester GPA after 72 and 96 TELS attempted hours (for provisional eligibility).
- Meet all other continuing eligibility criteria for every semester, including semesters
for which the student did not receive a TELS award. Which includes the following:
- Must have maintained enrollment status for every semester (at least 1 hour for every fall and spring semester including semesters in which the student did not receive a TELS award).
- Must meet all other continuing eligibility criteria as stated in TSAC’s TELS policy.
- Must submit a Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) for the current year. (The FAFSA must be processed every year by September 1).
The student may regain the TELS award beginning with the semester after attempting 48, 72, and 96 hours as defined by TSAC’s TELS policy. Awards cannot be applied retroactively to prior semesters. The student must submit a Request for Review to Regain the HOPE Scholarship form to notify the Tennessee Tech Office of Financial Aid of eligibility under the Regain Provision.
Tennessee Education Lottery Scholarship (TELS) Appeal Process
The Tennessee Education Lottery Scholarship (TELS) is awarded based on policies set forth by the Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation (TSAC). TSAC's TELS policy allows an appeal process for students who fail to meet enrollment requirements due to extenuating medical or personal circumstances. An appeals process is not available to students who fail to meet GPA or other requirements. Lottery scholarship recipients who fail to meet continuing eligibility requirements will have their scholarships cancelled beginning with the next semester.
Who Can Submit an Appeal
- A student who dropped below full-time during the semester (or who was enrolled part-time and dropped below part-time during the semester) because of extenuating circumstances
- A student who withdrew from all classes because of extenuating circumstances
- A student who did not enroll in at least 1 hour for a required fall or spring semester because of extenuating circumstances
- A student in a provisional eligibility status who did not enroll in at least 12 hours for a required fall or spring semester because of extenuating circumstances
- A student who did not enroll within 16 months after graduating from high school, graduating from homeschool, or completing a GED test because of extenuating circumstances
- See below for information about certain military exceptions
Who Cannot Submit an Appeal
- A student who dropped below the required GPA
- A student who does not meet the initial eligibility requirements, such as ACT and GPA minimums
- A student who exceeds the maximum number of years or attempted hours that are allowed
- A student who does not meet the residency requirement
- A student whose parents have an Adjusted Gross Income above $36,000 cannot appeal to receive the Aspire supplement
- A non-traditional student cannot appeal to receive the Aspire or Merit supplement
Appealing the Cancellation of the TELS/Lottery Scholarship
To appeal the cancellation of your TELS/Lottery Scholarship, you must submit the following documentation to the Tennessee Tech Financial Aid Office. Appeals are considered by Tennessee Tech’s Institutional Review Panel (IRP). In-person appeals to the IRP are not permitted. For additional information, please contact the Financial Aid Office.
- A completed and signed appeal form
- A detailed letter regarding your situation, including a description of why you were unable to meet the enrollment requirements
- Documentation to support the appeal, such as statements from doctors, counselors, or other professionals
Please submit your entire appeal at one time, including all supporting documentation. If you choose to submit documentation separately from the rest of your appeal, you must include your name and T-number, along with a note that it is to be added to the appeal you already submitted. Documentation received after an appeal is reviewed will not be considered. Once your appeal has been reviewed and a decision has been made, you will be notified via email of the decision.
All Lottery Scholarship forms, to include the regain form can be found on our Financial Aid Forms page