The 2019-2020 year kicked off with the Maker Challenge!
Who: All students, all programs, across campus!
What: Create solutions to problems facing rural communities. Part of the university-wide Grand Challenge, Rural Reimagined!
When: Thursday, Sept. 19 at 5 p.m.
Where: RUC 282 (multi purpose room)
Why: Problem solve, work with a team, win money, and have fun!
Rural areas are affected by a number of challenges. Some examples are:
- Low to no access to:
- Grocery stores and fresh produce
- Quality physical and mental health care
- High speed internet
They are also affected by:
- Substance abuse and opioid epidemic
- Low inclusion and diversity
- Lack of nutrition
- Lack of childcare
Your challenge is to create an innovative solution to solve one or more of these problems – or a different rural challenge that we haven’t listed. Your only limitation is your creativity! We have various low resolution prototyping materials, as well as large notepads and markers – use whatever supplies you want to develop your idea. This could be a device, an app, a process, a website, a building – whatever you think is a good solution!
You have about two and a half hours to:
- Form your team (you may also work alone, but remember, more people=more ideas!)
- Design and create a representation of your solution
- At 8 p.m. all teams will present to judges
- The winning team will get a $1000 scholarship!!!