Lab - Services
- The Water Center environmental quality lab is state certified to offer unique water and wastewater services. Please visit the links below or call (931) 372-3538 for more information.
- Please bring water samples to Prescott Hall, Room 426 (on the fourth floor of Prescott), between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m., Monday through Thursday. The lab is closed for lunch between noon and 1 p.m. and for Tennessee Tech administrative holidays.
Individual homeowners, who are concerned about the levels of bacteria or inorganic compounds in their well water or other non-processed water supplies can find peace of mind by bringing their water samples to the Environmental Quality Lab.
Water testing available for homeowners:
Option 1: Basic water chemistry - $100.00
This option includes the analyses of pH, conductivity, turbidity, total coliform and e. coli, minerals (calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, potassium, sodium, zinc), hardness, and IC scan (nitrate, nitrite, chloride, fluoride, sulfate).
Option 2: Lead analysis - $30.00
Option 3: Bacterial analysis - $30.00
This option includes the analyses of total coliform and E. coli.
Sample collection instructions:
For bacterial analysis (total coliform, e. coli): Special care must be taken when collecting a sample for microbial analysis as this analysis is very sensitive to contamination, such as airborne molds and bacteria. Sterilized containers for sample collection are available upon request. To collect the sample from a faucet, turn on the faucet and let run for about 30 seconds. Keeping your hands out of the water stream, fill the sample container and recap. The sample must be transported to the lab on ice as soon as possible after collection, but no longer than 6 hours after collection. Samples to be tested for bacteria will be accepted Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. – 3 p.m. We are closed for lunch from 12-1 p.m.
For lead analysis: Limit the use of water from the tap to be tested overnight and then collect the first catch from the faucet in the morning. Fill a clean glass jar (pint or quart size). Place plastic wrap over the mouth of the jar before sealing with a metal lid.
For all other analyses: Use a clean plastic or glass container to collect the sample. If a metal lid is to be used, place plastic wrap over the mouth of the jar before sealing. A minimum amount of 1 quart or 1 liter is requested. Sample containers are available upon request, but a special container is not essential.
Caring how their operations impact the environment, businesses and industries turn to the environmental quality lab for answers to their water quality questions and assistance with state and federal regulation compliance.
Safety is our first priority. Therefore, we follow strict protocols before approving laboratory facilities access to Tennessee Tech students and faculty. If you wish to use Water Center facilities for your research work, please meet with Dr. Tania Datta to discuss your needs. Following that, review the procedures and complete the required forms and safety training modules listed below. Please go through document 100-100 first, and it will guide you through all the other documents. Once you have filled out the required forms and completed the training, please submit them to Dr. Tania Datta.
The analytical lab has 4,300 square feet that include the following:
- a microbiological area for research and analysis (PH419)
- two programmable temperature and humidity walk-in chambers (contained within PH419)
- a cold room for sample storage (contained within PH429)
- a 1,090 sq. ft. wet chemistry and project area (PH428)
- 1,610 sq. ft. of space for laboratory instrumentation (PH426, 430A, 430B)
- an organic laboratory for sample preparation, distillation, and extraction (PH429B/PH430C)
- 308 sq. ft. dishwashing area (PH429)
- an isolated chemical storage room (PH420)
- a High-Throughput Sequencing facility equipped with an Illumina MiSeq and NextSeq system (PH421)
- a Dynamic Light Scattering system
- Field Equipment
- Price Schedule
DIRECTIONS: GPS Address -- 1020 Stadium Dr., Cookeville, TN 38505
From Interstate 40, take Exit 286 and go north on Willow Avenue. At the university entrance, approximately three miles from the I-40 Exit, turn right onto University Drive. At the first stop sign, turn right onto Stadium Drive. Prescott Hall will be on your left. Parking will be to your right or on the left at the next stop sign. Please park in a designated parking space. For a parking permit, contact the Campus Police at (931) 372-3234.