Institutional Review Board for the Protection of Human Subjects
The primary purpose of the Committee is to serve as the Institutional Review Board (IRB) for the Protection of Human Subjects in research, special projects, and related activities of the University. Other duties include:
- Serve as the institutional review board for the University according to requirements for the protection of human subjects as set forth by the federal regulations created by Congress (Code of Federal Regulations, Title 45, Part 46).
- Establish and implement policies and procedures for protection of human subjects in funded and non-funded research.
- Establish and recommend guidelines for classroom activities involving human subjects. These guidelines are for implementation by academic departments within the University.
- Establish and recommend policies relating to ethics and misconduct in research and related activities dealing with human subjects.
- Review and act on matters referred by the Administrative Council, Academic Council, President of the University, Office of Research, Faculty Research Committee, administrators, and faculty.
Download Review Board for the protection of Human Subjects Procedures (PDF)