- Ph.D. in Civil Engineering NC State, 2001
- M.S. in Civil Engineering NC State, 1996
- B.S. in Civil Engineering Tennessee Tech, 1993
- B.S. in Mathematics Tennessee Tech, 1993
- Professional Engineer North Carolina, 2002 Tennessee, 2006
- TRB – The Transportation Research Board
- TSSC – TRB’s Traffic Signal Systems Committee
- ITE – The Institute of Transportation Engineers
- ASEE – The American Society for Engineering Education
Externally Funded Research Projects
- “Field Evaluation of Traffic Signal Based Interchange Treatments” Sponsored by the
Tennessee Department of Transportation. 2010‐2012.
- “Application of Non‐Traditional Interchange Treatments to Improve Interchange Quality
of Service and Preserve the Service Life of Narrow Over‐ and Underpass Roadways” Sponsored
by the Tennessee Department of Transportation. 2007‐2009.
- “Improved Traffic Signal Efficiency in Rural Areas Through the Use of Variable Maximum
Green Time” Sponsored by the Mack Blackwell Rural Transportation Agency. 2006‐2007.
Example Technical Publications
- “Applicability of Bluetooth Data Collection Methods for Collecting Traffic Operations
Data on Rural Freeways” Transportation Research Record: The Journal of the Transportation
Research Board, under review.
- “Evaluation of Traditional and Non‐Traditional Interchange Treatments to Preserve
the Service Life of Narrow Over‐ and Underpass Roadways” Transportation Research Record:
The Journal of the Transportation Research Board No 2171, 2010.
- “Using Dynamic Maximum Greens to Reduce Traffic Signal Timing Maintenance Needs” ITE
Journal. April 2010.
- “Evaluation of Variable Maximum Green Time to Improve Rural Traffic Signal Operations”
Transportation Research Record: The Journal of the Transportation Research Board. No.
- “Application of the ITE Change and Clearance Interval Formulas in North Carolina”
ITE Journal. January 2008.
Example Technical Presentations
- “Real Time Traffic Signal Delay Estimation using State‐of‐the‐Practice Detection Technology: A
Simulation Proof‐of‐ Concept” (with E. Boden) Proceedings of the 89th Annual Meeting
of the Transportation Research Board, 2010.
- “New Interchange Design: FRE Interchange Releasing Control and Enhancing Performance” (with
C. Berry) Proceedings of the 89th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board,
- “Retiming of NC 54 at I‐40 and Farrington Rd in Durham, NC: A Case Study in Managing
Oversaturated Conditions” Sunday Workshops of the 86th Annual Meeting of the Transportation
Research Board, 2007.
Example Education Publications and Presentations
- “Pen‐Enabled PCs for Engineering Courses: An Introductory Demonstration” The 2011
ASEE Southeastern Section Annual Conference, April 2011.
- “The (Disappointingly Commonplace) Traffic Signal Content in TTU’s CEE Undergraduate
Program” The Summer Meeting of the Transportation Research Board’s Traffic Signal
System Committee, July 2010.
- “Classroom Polling Systems in Upper Level Transportation Engineering Classes: A Pilot
Study” Proceedings of the 2009 ASEE Southeastern Section Annual Conference, April
- “Using E‐Homework to Provide Disaggregate Problem Solving Assessment in a Senior‐Level
Traffic Engineering Course” Proceedings of the 2008 ASEE Southeastern Section Annual
Conference, April 2008.
Example Education Grants and Awards
- Tablet PC Initiative Recipient, Fall 2007
- Hands‐on Learning Gift for a Wireless Classroom Projector, Fall 2007
- Exemplary Course Award at Tennessee Tech University for CEE 4640/5640 Highway Engineering,
- SACS QEP Teaching‐Learning Enhancement Grant for Real World Problem Solving, Spring
Example University Courses Taught
- CEE 3610 – Transportation Engineering
- CEE 4630/5630 – Traffic Engineering
- CEE 4640/5640 – Highway Engineering
- CEE 6410 – Advanced Traffic Control
- CEE 7980 – Traffic Flow Theory
- CEE 7980 – Transportation Research Seminar
Example Consulting Projects
- 2011 – Coordination Timing for Improved Operations on the US‐15‐501 Corridor in Chapel
- 2010 – Specifications and Evaluation Methodology for Citywide Traffic Signal Hardware
and Software for Charlotte, NC
- 2008 – Synchro + SimTraffic 7 Intermediate Level Training – Short Course Development
- 2007 – Evaluation of Current, Near Term, and Future Operations on NC 62 at and near
I‐40 / I‐85 in Burlington, NC
Public Sector Engineering Experience
- Signals and Geometrics Section, North Carolina Department of Transportation
- Senior Systems Engineer (Transportation Engineer III), 2001‐2005
- Project Engineer (Transportation Engineer II), 2000‐2001
- Design Engineer (Transportation Engineer I), 1999‐2000
- Design Technician (Temporary Transportation Technician IV), 1998‐1999
Example Public Sector Projects
- US 17 Corridor Study Working Group, from Wilmington, NC to the South Carolina state
line Reviewed consultant recommendations, developed a new corridor‐wide design philosophy
for future operations
- Durham City Signal System Project, Durham, NC Included the development of city‐wide
signal system timing plans, training courses, and review of contractor work
- US 15‐501 at Erwin and Europa, Chapel Hill, NC Included evaluation of non‐traditional
designs and development of public meeting presentation materials
- NCSITE Statewide Task Force on Yellow & Red Clearance Times Assistant to the chair,
presented practice history, helped with consensus building for new method of practice