Welcome to the School of Human Ecology!
Our purpose in Human Ecology is to prepare professionals to be effective agents for the well-being of children, families and communities.
Here, our rich historic traditions blend with current academics to prepare students for diverse careers. Our School offers seven basic areas of study:
- Child Development and Family Relations
- Child Life
- Family and Consumer Sciences Education
- Nutrition and Dietetics
- Housing and Design
- Merchandising and Design
- Food Systems Administration
Dr. Melinda Anderson, Director
Facts about the School of Human Ecology
Licensing and Credentialing
Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD): For the time period 2007-2017, 168 students graduated from the TTU DPD program with a Verification statement. Of these, 101 (of 168) applied to a supervised practice program (internship) within 12 months of their graduation for an application rate of 60%.
DPD Results: Of the 101 students who applied for supervised practice within 12 months of graduation, 61 were accepted for a graduate acceptance rate of 60%. The national average for acceptance into a dietetic supervised practice program is currently 56%. Other students who applied to graduate school first or waited longer than 12 months to apply are not included in this analysis.
Registered Dietitian Exam Pass Rate, TTU School of Human Ecology
|Testing Year||# of Students taking exam||# Passed||% Passed|
The ACEND benchmark for first time test takers over a five-year period is 80%.
Family and Consumer Science Education
Students Licensed as Family and Consumer Science Teachers
|Year||# of Students|
|Post Bac Students in 2012||3|
|Post Bac Students in 2014||2|
|Total Licensed Teachers||32|
Graduation Rates of First Time Freshmen, 6-year Rate
|Human Ecology (HEC)||Fall 2009 Cohort||Fall 2010 Cohort||Fall 2011 Cohort||Fall 2012 Cohort||Fall 2013 Cohort|
|Enrolled in HEC||29||20||15||27||26|
|Graduated from HEC||17 (59%)||14 (70%)||8 (53%)||12 (44%)||N/A|
- Average graduation rate from Human Ecology, over past 5 cohorts: 35.2%
- Average graduation rate from TTU, over past 5 cohorts: 50%
|Unit||Fall, 2009||Fall, 2010||Fall, 2011||Fall, 2012||Fall, 2013||Fall, 2014||Fall, 2015||Fall, 2016||Fall, 2017|
|Human Ecology (total)||175||201||205||266||263||252||259||257||242|
|Child Dev/Fam Rel||31||36||40||84||102||80||76||75||92|
|Nutrition & Dietetics||57||68||70||82||80||72||82||69||46|
Retention Rates for First Time Freshmen
Fall 2014 Cohort
- The Fall 2014 cohort fall to fall retention rate was 90.32%, compared to 75.7% for the university.
- The retention rate for continuing in the same program was 83.2% for HEC, compared to 54.2% for the university.
Fall 2013 Cohort
- School of Human Ecology: 26 enrolled, 15 continued in unit to second fall = 67%
- TTU Retention Rate: 75.7%
Fall 2012 Cohort
- School of Human Ecology: 27 enrolled, 19 continued in unit to second fall = 70.3%
- TTU Retention Rate: 74.6%
Fall 2011 Cohort
- School of Human Ecology: 15 enrolled, 11 continued in unit to second fall = 73.3%
- TTU Retention Rate: 69.8%
Accredited by the American Association of Family & Consumer Sciences