Tennessee Qualitative Inquiry for Social Justice
About TQISJ at Tennessee Tech
The goal of the Tennessee Qualitative Inquiry for Social Justice collaborating website is to provide a network for the scholarly promotion of qualitative inquiry and education concerned with social justice and human rights.
- Included is a listing of local faculty and university staff involved in qualitative research and whose interest is in exploring social justice issues within the greater community.
- We encourage researchers' dedication to the realization of a democratic society that is diverse, inclusive, and equitable, and that values the worth of all humans.
- Our office promotes workshops, seminars, conferences, and other events in our area that may expand people's dedication to social justice.
More About the International Institute for Qualitative Inquiry at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign: Visit iiqi.org
TQISJ Presentations & Presenters
- ICQI 2019
- ICQI 2018
- ICQI 2017
- ICQI 2016
12th ICQI: Qualitative Inquiry in Neoliberal Times
- Baker, J. C., & Ezell, L. (2016). From the sticks to stick-with-it-ness: The complexity of persistence in rural college students. ICQI "Qualitative Inquiry in Neoliberal Times," Urbana, IL. May 18-21, 2016.
- Clark, E. T. Int’s not about me, it’s about we: Cultural responsiveness through literature.
- Ellis, A., Callender, A., McMillan, E., & Silber-Furman, D. Navigating an equity-minded, qualitatively-rich doctoral program in neoliberal times.
- Fidan, P., & Pittman, C. Fifth grade mathematics teachers’ perceptions of writing in mathematics.
- Isbell, J. K., Baker, J. C., Sapp, D. L., Zagumny, L., & Anthony, H. The politics of academic advancement: Doubting the illusion of rigor.
- Isbell, J. K., Chaudhuri, J., Madray, A., & Schaeffer, D. L. International graduate students’ perspectives on plagiarism in academic writing.
- Sapp, D. L. The elite label: Two gifted teachers’ challenges with neoliberalism changes in the classroom.
- Silber-Furman, D., & Al Sagar, A. Academic language in higher education.
- Spears, A., & Wendt, S. Scientific argumentation in the kindergarten classroom: Supporting understanding of scientific knowledge using outstanding children’s literature.
- ICQI 2015
11th ICQI: Constructing a New Critical Qualitative Inquiry
- Al Sager, A. The representation of Islam and Muslims in world history textbooks.
- Baker, J. C. Collaborative autoethnography in education: Teachers’ engagement in a multi-layered approach to self-inquiry and reflection.
- Bishop, T. Succumbing to the story: Autoethnography and anger in education research.
- Callender, A., & Howard, M. Silenced conversations: Social construction of disability in two cultures.
- Howard, M., & Callender, A. Lost in translation.
- Pittman, C., & Isbell, J. K. Engaging with e-readers: Teacher and student perspectives on e-readers in secondary English classrooms.
- Sapp, D. L. Impact of gifted student information on stakeholder decision-making: A critical content analysis.
- Silber-Furman, D. Quest for success: How English language proficiency shapes academic identities of international students.
- Spears, A. Alarming admonitions: A poetic representation of mothers’ experiences with early literacy advice.
- Stepp, J., & Taylor, F. L. A grounded theory approach to professional development and collaboration.
- Taylor, F. L. Inductive analysis on library climates.
- Wendt, S. L., Isbell, J. K., Fidan, P., & Pittman, C. Teacher candidates’ attitudes and self-efficacy toward team work for teaching STEM in the elementary classroom.
- Zagumny, L., Bishop, T., Shanks, K., Silber-Furman, D., & Chitiyo, G. Post-Inquiry troubling and the challenge to the practical: Perspectives from doctoral students and faculty.
- ICQI 2014
10th ICQI: Qualitative Inquiry and the Politics of Research
- Al Sager, A. Introducing the unfamiliar: Get to know your Muslim student
- Chitiyo, R., & Silber-Furman, D. Hide and seek curricula: An uneven playing field for bilingual students.
- Howard, M., & Fain, J. Emergent understandings of the Schooling Literacy Project: Diverse schools generating close readings and critical responses to global and informational texts.
- Howard, M., & Stewart, A. New literacies in the Second Life: A qualitative media analysis.
- Landis, D., Stephens, J., Byford, G., & Isbell, J. A close-up of co-teaching: Zooming in on teacher candidates’ co-teaching experiences.
- Marcum, R. The rod or the staff: Discipline practices in Protestant homes
- Rawiszer, H. Students’ perceptions of critical literacy as an alternative teaching method to literacy instruction.
- Rogers, A. Teachable moments: Incorporating literacy into all subjects.
- Zagumny, L., Baker, J., & Bishop, T. Neoliberal assessments and the rise of the educator preparation program enterprise.
- ICQI 2013
9th ICQI: Qualitative Inquiry Outside the Academy
- Al Sager, A., & Shinde, G. International Muslim students’ experience at a regional university in the United States.
- Anthony, H., & Campbell, C. Teachers’ and students’ (mis)understandings of graphical representations in mathematics.
- Baker, J., Thompson, E., & Ellis, A. Pleasure packs a punch: Adolescents speak about reading for fun at school.
- Camuti, A., & Fisher, S. Qualitative analysis of text message construction practices in native speakers of Arabic.
- Chitiyo, R., & Rawiszer, H. Wait, so you did this together? Two graduate students’ experiences with co-teaching and co-grading.
- Howard, M., Al Sager, A., Baggett, A., Cochrane, S., & Majors, T. Tell me more about that: Meaningful cohort relationships in Ph.D. programs.
- Howard, M., & Anthony, H. Questioning selves, questioning minds: Women’s persistence in doctoral programs.
- Isbell, J. Lessons in the park: Authentic teaching and learning with preservice teachers.
- Isbell, J., Baker, J., Zagumny, L., & Camuti, A. Beyond (yet related to) schooling: Interrogating deficit constructions of government-funded healthcare recipients.
- ICQI 2012
8th ICQI: Qualitative Inquiry as a Global Endeavour
- Zagumny, L., Chitiyo, R., Rawiszer, H., & Norris, W. Teaching mathematics with chess: Stakeholders’ perspectives toward chess as an instructional strategy.
- ICQI 2010
6th ICQI: Qualitative Inquiry For a Global Community in Crisis
- Howard, M. Addressing challenging behavior: A portrait of the effective preschool teacher.
- Zagumny, L., & Richey, A. (Re)presenting the “Muslim World:” Critical visuality and textbook images.