Recommended Computer Specifications for Students
Departments within the College of Engineering are increasingly integrating the use of portable devices in their daily activities, even further with the use of MoLE-SI (Mobile Learning Environment and Systems Infrastructure) which facilitates the integration of many curricular activities that use this infrastructure for the development of future engineers.
Currently the college requires students to have an entry level (primary) portable computing device. Note that secondary computing devices like tablets can be used, however they are not considered primary computing devices.
The recommendation below will work well for all academic degrees within the College of Engineering as an entry level computer. Be sure to check with individual academic programs for any advance configuration requirements. Download a printable PDF here.
- Processor: 2.3GHz Intel i5 (Dual core) or AMD equivalents
- Memory: 8 GB
- Available Storage: 250 GB
- Screen Size: 14 inches
- Screen Resolution: 1920x1080 (1080p)
- USB Ports: 3
- Wireless adapter: 802.11n
- External USB Backup Storage: 500 GB
- Portable Storage: 8GB USB flash drive
- Battery Life*
- Warranty: Recommended 4 years
- OS: (PC) Windows 10 (64b) /(Mac) OS X 10.12 (Sierra)
- Microsoft Office and other software can be acquired free of charge after enrollment. Find Pricing for Home Use and more at myTECH Self Service.
Secondary Mobile Device
Tablets, iPads, and other IOS/Android mobile devices may be used as secondary computing devices. From Microsoft: only the Surface Pro tablet series of products are supported/recommended by the College of Engineering IT department.
Don't forget: Tennessee Department of Revenue Tax Free Weekend