College of Engineering
Recommended Computer Specifications for Students
Currently the college requires students to have an entry level (primary) portable computing device. Note that secondary computing devices like tablets can be used, however they are not considered primary computing devices.
The recommendation below will work well for all academic degrees within the College of Engineering as an entry level computer.
Be sure to check with individual academic programs for any advance configuration requirements.
- Chemical Engineering firstname.lastname@example.org
- Civil & Environmental Engineering email@example.com
- Computer Science firstname.lastname@example.org
- Electrical & Computer Engineering email@example.com
- General & Basic Engineering firstname.lastname@example.org
- Manufacturing & Engineering Technology email@example.com
- Mechanical Engineering firstname.lastname@example.org
- *For Mechanical Engineering majors a Macintosh is only recommended for highly experienced Mac users comfortable running and managing their programs using a virtual PC emulator.
Microsoft Windows Laptops
- Processor: Intel Core i5 processor or equivalent
- Memory: 8GB RAM (16GB strongly recommended)
- Storage: 1TB solid state drive (SSD) or more - strongly recommended
- Nvidia graphics recommended. Video: 1920 x 1080 resolution. 4K displays may have to be operated at a lower screen resolution to be compatible with some software. Several departments will make use of SolidWorks. There have been some reported issues of graphics cards not being compatible with this program. Students may want to consult https://www.solidworks.com/support/hardware-certification for a list of tested and certified graphics cards for SolidWorks.
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11
Apple Macintosh Laptops*
- Recommended Hardware and OS Specifications
- Processor: Intel Laptops with I5 and above. M1 Laptops (Warning: not all software is compatible)
- Memory: 8GB RAM (16GB strongly recommended, especially if you plan to also run Windows)
- Storage: 500GB solid state drive (SSD) (1TB SSD strongly recommended)
- Video: 1920 x 1080 resolution with minimum screen size of 13 in. (15 inches is probably better or access to an additional monitor). See note under Windows machines for SolidWorks compatibility.
- Operating System: Catalina 10.15 or later
- *** Laptops with only USB-C or Thunderbolt ports will likely require dongles for easier compatibility with USB-3 on campus ***
- USB Flash Drive (64GB or higher)
- USB External Hard Drive (500GB or higher)
- A mouse MAY be preferred over a trackpad; brand/type does not matter.
Hardware and Software Discounts for Tech Employees and Students
Don't forget: Tennessee Department of Revenue Tax Free Weekend