Health Sciences Career Tracks
Pre-Medicine Career Track
Medical schools accept any major, so students are encouraged to explore a major according to his/her interests and strengths.
While pursuing a bachelor's degree at Tennessee Tech, students can follow the suggested career track coursework and engage in related co-curricular activities to prepare for the graduate professional school of their choice.
Pre-Medicine Suggested Career Track Coursework
TN Tech Degree Requirements:
- TN Tech Courses for the TBR General Education Core Requirements
- Requirements for a Tennessee Tech degree
Preparing for the MCAT:
- Official MCAT Content Outlines from AAMC
- MCAT Resources
- ChemMED recommended: www.studentdoctor.net
- Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC)
- American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS)
- American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM)
- American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service (AACOMAS)
- American Medical Association (AMA)
Medical Schools with Successful Tennessee Tech Graduates:
- East Tennessee State University College of Medicine
- University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Medicine
- Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
- Meharry Medical College School of Medicine
- University of Alabama School of Medicine
- University of South Alabama College of Medicine
- University of Kentucky College of Medicine
- Wake Forest School of Medicine
- Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
- Mercer University School of Medicine
- Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine
- University of Pikeville Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine
- West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
- Kansas City University College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
- A.T. Still University Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
What do I need to know about the MCAT?
All the important MCAT information can be found online at the MCAT FAQ page.
How can I prepare for the MCAT?
Our advisors recommend reviewing the AAMC Topic Outlines (for the 2011-2014 MCAT) and the official MCAT guide (~$30) while you study for your courses at Tennessee Tech. Our students have found these resources and the free online resources available at www.studentdoctor.net are helpful.
What is a typical timeline for applying to medical school?
The typical timeline is described in the official AAMC webpage. Our Tennessee Tech pre-professional faculty advisors understand that many students will follow an "atypical timeline," and we welcome you to our office to discuss your particular needs and goals.
What activities will help me get into medical school?
Click here to view advice from Dr. Jonathan Leo, one of our many favorite campus visitors, Associate Professor of Neuroanatomy & Associate Dean of Students at Lincoln Memorial University.