Getting Started in Cybersecurity
Generally valuable resources regardless of educational level.
- /r/netsec - A great community dedicated to providing a variety of resources which suit everyone from beginners to experts
The resources in this section are a good starting point for those just getting started in computer science/cyber security
- FutureLearn - Free course that provides an introduction to cybersecurity
- Blown to Bits - A free book focused around the history of bits and the impact of computer science in our world
- NOVA labs game - A small, fun game that teaches the basic types of cyber attacks
- CS Education Week - Games and beginning coding/computer science tutorials
- Cybrary - Free, open source lessons for cyber security training.
- CyberPatriot - National Youth Cyber Education Program
This section is for those who already know some about cybersecurity, and want delve deeper into the subject
- PWN Adventure - A first person MMORPG where hacking is encouraged and necessary (you will need to run your own server for this to work unfortunately)
- Hacker High School - A series of lessons that teach good ethics and common practices in cybersecurity
- 41 best security blogs - Want to stay up to date with what's happening in the security world? Bookmark some of these and read up
- NCSA - Offers a variety of resources for cyber security students
- Open Security Training - Similar to the Khan Academy, dedicated to sharing training information.
- The Iron Geek - Some good general security papers
- Books - Security books in a multitude of subjects
- NANOG - IT professional knowledge repository
- OWASP - The Open Web Application Security Project, contains massive resources on most attack types and security risks
This section is for knowledgeable users who wish to truly get involved in security and develop career skills
- Hack This Site - Hacking challenges for all skill levels and multiple different skillsets
- CEH Study Guide - A comprehensive guide for the Certified Ethical Hacker exam
- RootMe.org - Hacking challenges and learning resources
- Learn Metasploit - Metasploit is one of the most widely used attack platforms out there, it is important to become familiar with it.
- Metasploitable Linux - An exploitable linux virtual machine. Use this or another VM for all testing. Do not attack real machines without explicit permission!
- Social Engineering Framework - Learn all about social engineering
- Learn tcpdump - A good primer for the tcpdump tool (used for network analysis)
- CTF Registration - One site that allows you to register and compete in public capture the flag competitions