Cybersecurity Education, Research & Outreach Center
Getting Started in Cybersecurity
Generally valuable resources regardless of educational level.
- /r/netsec - A great community dedicated to providing a variety of resources which suit everyone from beginners to experts
The resources in this section are a good starting point for those just getting started in computer science/cyber security
- FutureLearn - Free course that provides an introduction to cybersecurity
- Blown to Bits - A free book focused around the history of bits and the impact of computer science in our world
- NOVA labs game - A small, fun game that teaches the basic types of cyber attacks
- CS Education Week - Games and beginning coding/computer science tutorials
- Cybrary - Free, open source lessons for cyber security training.
- CyberPatriot - National Youth Cyber Education Program
This section is for those who already know some about cybersecurity, and want delve deeper into the subject
- PWN Adventure - A first person MMORPG where hacking is encouraged and necessary (you will need to run your own server for this to work unfortunately)
- Hacker High School - A series of lessons that teach good ethics and common practices in cybersecurity
- 41 best security blogs - Want to stay up to date with what's happening in the security world? Bookmark some of these and read up
- NCSA - Offers a variety of resources for cyber security students
- Open Security Training - Similar to the Khan Academy, dedicated to sharing training information.
- The Iron Geek - Some good general security papers
- Books - Security books in a multitude of subjects
- NANOG - IT professional knowledge repository
- OWASP - The Open Web Application Security Project, contains massive resources on most attack types and security risks
- TeachCyber - A concise compilation of free online resources to help teach and learn cybersecurity
This section is for knowledgeable users who wish to truly get involved in security and develop career skills
- Hack This Site - Hacking challenges for all skill levels and multiple different skillsets
- CEH Study Guide - A comprehensive guide for the Certified Ethical Hacker exam
- RootMe.org - Hacking challenges and learning resources
- Learn Metasploit - Metasploit is one of the most widely used attack platforms out there, it is important to become familiar with it.
- Metasploitable Linux - An exploitable linux virtual machine. Use this or another VM for all testing. Do not attack real machines without explicit permission!
- Social Engineering Framework - Learn all about social engineering
- Learn tcpdump - A good primer for the tcpdump tool (used for network analysis)
- CTF Registration - One site that allows you to register and compete in public capture the flag competitions