Campus Community Health
Know the Symptoms
- People with mpox get a rash that may be located on or near the genitals
- The rash will go through several stages, including scabs, before healing.
- The rash can initially look like pimples or blisters and may be painful or itchy.
Other symptoms of mpox can include:
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Muscle aches and backache
- Respiratory symptoms (e.g. sore throat, nasal congestion, or cough)
You may experience all or only a few symptoms:
- Sometimes, people have flu-like symptoms before the rash.
- Some people get a rash first, followed by other symptoms.
- Others only experience a rash.
» Avoid close, skin-to-skin contact with people who have a rash that looks like mpox.
» Avoid contact with objects and materials that a person with mpox has used.
» Wash your hands often.