The Honors Residence Hall
One of the most popular benefits offered to Honors students at Tech is the chance to live in Murphy Hall, the Honors residence hall. Since its inception in 1998, Honors Housing has been a model of community-building, student-focused campus housing.
- Murphy was renovated and refurbished in 2016. Besides the new flooring, carpeting, doors, paint, and furnishings throughout, there are new laundry facilities, a kitchen, study rooms, a seminar room, a re-decorated main lobby recreational area with television and pingpong, an additional quiet lounge, and a meeting room. Outside, you'll find hammock stands— new in 2018!
- Room choices include two-person and three-person rooms, single rooms and "super" single rooms with full-size beds.
Interested in living in Honors Housing?
Read the section that applies to you:
- RETURNING Honors Students: See the information directly below.
- NEW Honors Students: Scroll down to the section entitled "For New Students."
In order to receive top priority to live in the Honors residence hall, you need to maintain eligibility. This means that you must complete at least one Honors credit-bearing requirement each semester until you have completed all requirements for graduating in cursu honorum.
If you are currently residing in Honors Housing, or if you are a returning Honors student wishing to move to the Honors residence hall from another (non-Honors) residence hall, follow the procedures below.
- Fill out a new TTU Residential Life housing application. The form can be found on the Residential Life website. Please make sure to note that Murphy Hall is your first choice for housing.
- The DEADLINES for receipt of application materials from RETURNING students will be announced by Residential Life (check your email for updates).
- Placement decisions will also be affected by the number of available male and female rooms.
Returning students who submit materials by the deadlines will be accepted into Honors Housing in the following order of priority:
- Qualifying returning students already in Honors housing who want to keep the same room.
- Qualifying returning students already in Honors housing who want a new room assignment.
- Qualifying returning Honors students who are not currently living in Honors housing.
Types of rooms and room rates:
Please check the Residential Life website for rates for the following types of rooms: two-person rooms, three-person rooms, single rooms, and “super” single room with full-size bed.
- The Residential Life Application and Deposit (Online; please make sure to note that Murphy Hall is your first choice for housing and to follow the deadlines provided by Residential Life)
FOR NEW STUDENTS in FALL 2021:
Murphy Hall is reserved for Honors students.
- Unless your application to Honors has been accepted, you will not be placed in Honors Housing.
- In order to receive top priority to continue living in Honors Housing, you need to maintain eligibility. This means that you must take and pass at least one Honors credit-bearing requirement each semester until you have completed all requirements for graduating in cursu honorum.
Types of rooms and room rates:
- Please check the Residential Life website for rates.
- The following types of rooms are available: two-person rooms, three-person rooms, single rooms, and “super” single room with full-size beds.
The Fall 2021 priority deadline for applying for Honors Housing will be April 30, 2021. Applications received after this date will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please apply early, and contact Mrs. Roberts LRRoberts@tntech.edu with questions.
- If you want to live in the Honors residence hall, you must indicate "Murphy Hall" as your first choice on the Tennessee Tech Online On-Campus Housing Application form.
- If you wish to live with a roommate who is not in Honors, this request can be made to Mrs. Roberts and may be granted on a space provisional basis. All Honors students receive priority above residents who are not in the Honors Program.
- New residents in Murphy Hall must sign the Honors Housing Agreement.
If you have questions, please contact Mrs. Roberts at LRRoberts@tntech.edu.
Required Application Materials: