Pre-Physical Therapist Career Track
A Physical Therapist (PT) is a healthcare professional who specializes in helping individuals recover from injuries, surgeries, or physical impairments. They assess patients' physical conditions, develop personalized treatment plans, and use a range of therapeutic techniques and exercises to improve mobility, reduce pain, and enhance physical function. Physical therapists work in various settings, such as hospitals, clinics, rehabilitation centers, and private practices, with the goal of optimizing patients' overall well-being and helping them regain their independence in daily activities.
While pursuing a bachelor's degree at Tennessee Tech, students will follow the suggested career track coursework and engage in related co-curricular activities to prepare for the graduate professional school of their choice.
Most health professional schools and allied health science programs will require academic coursework before students are admitted into the program. Upon completion of your degree from Tech, you will have much of the required coursework completed before applying to physical therapy programs.
Students pursuing the Pre-Physical Therapy Career Track typically major in one of the following programs:
- Exercise Science
- Human Ecology
- Interdisciplinary Studies
Use the button below to explore more about Physical Therapists' career information and job outlook.
Additional information regarding general academic requirements:
Students pursuing the Pre-Physical Therapist Career Track participate in the following student organizations. Involvement within these clubs and organizations provide viable experience, networks, and further connects students with their program of study and career goals.
- American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Chemical Medical Sciences Club
- Exercise Science, Physical Education and Wellness Club
- Food Nutrition and Dietetics Club
- Remote Area Medical Clinic
- American Physical Therapy Association (APTA)
- Physical Therapist Centralized Application Service (PTCAS)
- Tennessee Tech's Pre-Physical Therapy Advising
The following is a non-comprehensive list of professional schools Tech graduates attend upon completion of their coursework at Tennessee Tech.
- Belmont University
- East Tennessee State University
- Tennessee State University
- The University of Tennessee - Chattanooga
- The University of Tennessee Health Science Center
- South College
- Mercer University
- Lincoln Memorial University
- University of Delaware
- Charleston Southern University
- University of Kentucky