Pre-Occupational Therapy Career Track
Occupational Therapists (OT) are healthcare professionals dedicated to helping individuals of all ages overcome physical, cognitive, or emotional challenges that affect their ability to perform daily activities. OTs work with patients to assess their unique needs and develop customized treatment plans aimed at improving their independence and quality of life. They utilize a variety of therapeutic techniques, exercises, and adaptive strategies to address issues such as injury recovery, developmental delays, mental health conditions, and disabilities. Occupational therapists work in diverse settings, including hospitals, rehabilitation centers, schools, and community-based programs, to help individuals regain or enhance their ability to engage in meaningful daily tasks and activities.
While pursuing a bachelor's degree at Tennessee Tech, students will follow the suggested career track coursework and engage in related co-curricular activities to prepare for the graduate professional school of their choice.
Most health professional schools and allied health science programs will require academic coursework before students are admitted into the program. Upon completion of your degree from Tech, you will have much of the required coursework completed before applying to occupational therapy programs.
Students pursuing the Pre-Occupational Therapy Career Track typically major in one of the following programs:
- Exercise Science
- Human Ecology
- Interdisciplinary Studies
Use the button below to explore more about Occupational Therapists' career information and job outlook.
Additional information regarding general academic requirements:
Students pursuing the Pre-Occupational Therapy Career Track participate in the following student organizations. Involvement within these clubs and organizations provide viable experience, networks, and further connects students with their program of study and career goals.
- American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Chemical Medical Sciences Club
- Child & Family Sciences
- Exercise Science, Physical Education and Wellness Club
- Food Nutrition and Dietetics Club
- Remote Area Medical Clinic
- The American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA)
- Occupational Therapist Centralized Application Service (OTCAS)
- Tennessee Tech's Pre-Occupational Therapy Advising
The following is a non-comprehensive list of professional schools Tech graduates attend upon completion of their coursework at Tennessee Tech.
- Belmont University
- Milligan College
- Tennessee State University
- University of Tennessee Health Science Center
- University of Tennessee - Chattanooga
- Lincoln Memorial University
- Tennessee Wesleyan University - Knoxville
- East Tennessee State University
- Brenau University
- University of St. Augustine
- Huntington University
- Washington University in St. Louis
- Howard University
- Medical University of South Carolina