Pre-Physician Assistant Career Track
A Physician Assistant (PA) is a highly skilled healthcare professional who works under the supervision of licensed physicians or surgeons. PAs are trained to diagnose and treat various medical conditions, order and interpret diagnostic tests, develop treatment plans, and provide patient education. They play a crucial role in delivering healthcare services, collaborating with the medical team to ensure comprehensive and high-quality patient care. PAs can work in various medical specialties and settings, making them versatile and valuable contributors to the healthcare system.
While pursuing a bachelor's degree at Tennessee Tech, students will follow the suggested career track coursework and engage in related co-curricular activities to prepare for the graduate professional school of their choice.
Most health professional schools and allied health science programs will require academic coursework before students are admitted into the program. Upon completion of your degree from Tech, you will have much of the required coursework completed before applying to physician assistant programs.
Students pursuing the Pre-Physician Assistant Career Track typically major in one of the following programs:
- Exercise Science
- Human Ecology
- Interdisciplinary Studies
Use the button below to explore more about Physician Assistants career information and job outlook.
Additional information regarding general academic requirements:
Students pursuing the Pre-Physician Assistant Career Track participate in the following student organizations. Involvement within these clubs and organizations provide viable experience, networks, and further connects students with their program of study and career goals.
- American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Chemical Medical Sciences Club
- Exercise Science, Physical Education and Wellness Club
- Remote Area Medical Clinic
- Student Members of the American Chemical Society
- American Academy of Physician Assistants (AAPA)
- Tennessee Academy of Physician Assistants (TNPA)
- Physician Assistant Education Association (PAEA)
- Central Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA)
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
- Tennessee Tech's Pre-Physician Assistant Advising
The following is a non-comprehensive list of professional schools Tech graduates attend upon completion of their coursework at Tennessee Tech.