College of Business Student Success Center

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Who is my advisor? Am I assigned to a specific advisor or may I see any advisor in the College of Business?

Our Student Success Center advising staff consists of four advisors ready to serve you. You may see any available advisor, or you may request to see a specific advisor if you prefer.

How do I make an appointment? When do I need to be advised?

All non-first year business majors are advised in the Student Success Center located in Foundation Hall 129. You may call (931) 372-3371 or (800) 374-4479 to set up an appointment to see an advisor. We also take walk-ins on a first-come basis. We encourage students to see an advisor anytime they have a question or concern. All students must see an advisor prior to registering for classes each term.

I would like to transfer to Tennessee Tech’s College of Business, but I have some questions about how my previous coursework will transfer. Where do I start?

Talk with an advisor in the Student Success Center for information on how your courses will transfer, and look at the transfer equivalencies tables. Also, check out the Admissions web site for information on transfer students.

How do I get my registration information (Alternate PIN) each semester?

You will receive that information after you have been advised for the next semester. Current students will receive an email as to when they should come in for advisement for the next semester.

What is the maximum # of hours I can carry each term? Can I get an approval for an overload?

Students in good academic standing may carry up to 20 credit hours of coursework in a semester. Students wanting to take more than 20 hours must see an advisor to request an overload card.

I am on Academic Warning. What does that mean?

Warning means that your GPA (grade point average) for the semester has fallen below the minimum required standard. Warning does not prevent you from returning to school, but you should see an advisor for suggestions on improvement. See Academic Standards.

I am on Academic Probation. What does that mean?

Probation means that your GPA either for the semester or overall has fallen below the minimum required standard. You are in danger of suspension if grades do not improve. Business students on probation are encouraged to take no more than 12 hours until they are back in good standing. See your academic advisor immediately. See Academic Standards.

How do I drop or withdraw from a class?

Business students should come to the COB Student Success Center and speak with an advisor about dropping a class.

How do I repeat a class?

Talk with your Business advisor about including the repeated course in your schedule. By filing a repeat card, the grade and the hours of the first attempt are removed from your GPA calculation and replaced by the grade of the second attempt.

How can I find out what my GPA is?

Log onto your personal academic information on the Eagle Online website. You will find your GPA information by going to "Student Records" the "Academic Transcripts."

When do I start my upper-division business classes?

After you complete the core business curriculum, you will affiliate into one of our nine majors in the College of Business.

How do I get involved in student business organizations?

Stop by the Student Success Center and pick up a Student Business Organizations brochure or visit the Student Business Organizations webpage for a complete listing of all business organizations and their contact information. You can also search for them within Eagle Engage -

How do I get an internship or job?

Talk with the staff of Tech's Career Development office or visit them online at You can also get information from the three College of Business departments and the Student Success Center. Watch for information about career fairs and representatives visiting our campus.

Experience Tech For Yourself

Visit us to see what sets us apart.

Schedule Your Visit
College of Business