Master of Accountancy MAcc Requirements
Admission is open to qualified students with a bachelor’s degree in business administration with a major in accounting (or the equivalent) from an accredited institution. Applications are accepted for fall semester admission only. The application for admission should be received by the deadlines indicated on the Graduate College website. Consideration is given to the applicant’s work experience and other activities that demonstrate potential for successful completion of the program.
Applications are accepted for fall admission only. The application for admission should be received by July 1 before the fall semester in which the student plans to enroll (April 1 for international students*). However, candidate screening and admission decisions by the MAcc Admissions Committee will begin March 1. The Committee includes the Accounting Department Chair, the MAcc coordinator, the COB Director of Graduate Studies and all tenure-track graduate faculty in the Department of Accounting.
Full Admission Requirements:
- An undergraduate degree from an accredited school or program
State and federal laws require colleges and universities to be authorized to offer online degree programs in states other than their own. Click here for a list of states where Tennessee Technological University is authorized to offer online degrees. If you do not see your state listed, you will be unable to enroll in any online programs offered by Tennessee Tech.
- Last day for International Applications to apply for Fall 2019 Admission: April 1
- Last Day for US Applicants to apply for Fall 2019 Admission: July 1
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Minimum score of 500 on the Graduate Management Admissions Test OR an equivalent score on the General Record Exam.
- One letter of recommendation.
Provisional Admission Requirements:
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Minimum score of 1,000 on the index formula
- Submission of official GMAT or GRE test scores
Students are also required to be proficient in the use of word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software including the integration of all three.
An applicant who does not meet the GMAT, GRE, GPA or Admission Index criteria may be considered for provisional admission, if they meet the above requirements. Provisional admission requires that the applicant maintain a 3.0 GPA for the first twelve (12) hours of graduate credit or the applicant will be dismissed from the program.
NOTE: Fulfilling the above minimum application requirements for both full, and provisional admission, does not guarantee acceptance into the MAcc program. Final decisions will be made by the MAcc Admissions Committee, whose members are the College of Business Graduate Program Director, the MAcc Coordinator, the Chair of the Accounting Department and two Accounting Department faculty.
* For additional information in international student applications, please visit the following link: How to Apply - International.
GMAT/GRE Waiver Policy
Students applying for the Master of Accountancy may request a waiver of the GMAT/GRE requirement if they meet one of the following requirements:
- The student holds a BSBA from Tennessee Tech University with a major in accounting (or has completed 85% of the coursework for the degree and 70% of the coursework for the major) and has an overall GPA of 3.2 or better and a GPA in their upper division accounting course work of 3.2 or greater, or
- The student holds a degree from an AACSB business program with a major in accounting (or has completed 85% of the coursework for the degree and 70% of the coursework for the major) and has and overall GPA of 3.4 or greater and a GPA in their upper division course work of 3.4 or greater.
The waiver request may be made directly to Director of Graduate Programs in the College of Business Graduate Office via the following form: GMAT/GRE Waiver Request
All application materials become the property of the University and will not be returned to the applicant regardless of whether admission is approved or denied.
If you have any questions, please contact:
College of Business Graduate Office
Phone: (931) 372-3600