Students have access to Respondus Lockdown Browser + Monitor through iLearn. Instructors can require Respondus Monitor for Quizzes, at which point you will be prompted to install Respondus Lockdown Browser and if you have not already done so. Once you download the Lockdown Browser and open the quiz, the program will prompt you through the Monitor setup based on the required options by the instructor.
If Monitor is required, the quiz title will include "Requires Respondus LockDown Browser + Webcam".
NOTE: Respondus Monitor is a free service for students effective December 2020.
- Using a Chromebook?
Installing the Chromebook Extension
To install the new extension to a personal Chromebook, students will need to use the regular LockDown Browser installation link for your school (they will NOT be able to search for the app directly from the Chrome web store.)
The LockDown Browser installation link will direct students to the Chrome web store, at which point they should select “Add to Chrome” to install the LockDown Browser Extension.
Limitations and/or known issues with LockDown Browser for Chromebook:
- Quiz passwords (specified via the "optional password" field in the LockDown Browser Dashboard) aren’t currently supported for exams that use only LockDown Browser. For exams requiring Respondus Monitor, the optional password field is supported.
- LockDown Browser’s Calculator and Spreadsheet features aren’t currently supported
- The extended keyboard functions (for adding symbols and special characters) isn’t currently available
- LockDown Browser’s “Help Center” is currently unavailable, and there is no Live Chat support for students taking exams that require Respondus Monitor.
- "Allow access to specific external web domains" option is currently not supported
- (Brightspace) Pop-ups need to be enabled in Chrome for the server otherwise the student gets stuck on the "Start Quiz" page. Please refer to this article.
- Using an iPad?
If you are using an iPad to take a quiz through iLearn that has Respondus Lockdown Browser enabled, please make sure your instructor knows. They will have to enable a setting for an iPad to work.
To install the Lockdown Browser on your iPad, you will need to download the app and connect it to Tennessee Technological University (server iLearn - https://elearn.tntech.edu).
At Tennessee Tech University, we believe that all students should have equal technology opportunities in the classroom. The following list includes technologies that may appear in Tennessee Tech courses and the accessibility information for each of those technologies.
Please contact the Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning at firstname.lastname@example.org or call x3675.