Material Science Lab
Lab Manager: Wayne Hawkins
Professional personnel trained in the operation of analytical instrumentation and characterization equipment aptly complement the scientific and technical capabilities of the MSL equipment.
Morphology and topographical characterization is available for a wide range of materials, including (but not limited to) polymers, ceramics, metals (and their alloys), fibers, aggregates, and composites. The centerpiece of the lab is an FEI Quanta 200 Environmental Scanning Electron Microscope (ESEM) equipped with EDAX Octane Pro Detector and EDAX TEAM software for qualitative and quantitative analysis of a variety of specimens and their composing elements. The MSL also boasts Zygo 3D Optical Profiler for characterizing and quantifying surface roughness, step heights, critical dimensions and other topographical features.
In addition to the ESEM and Zygo 3D Optical Profiler, the MSL includes a full range of specimen preparation equipment (i.e. acid bench, automated grinding and polishing, sawing, and sputter coating). There is also an inverted microscope with image analysis software for determining particle size and density counts, and a Vickers scale microhardness indentation device.
Electron Microscopy / X-Ray Microanalysis
- FEI Quanta 200 Environmental Scanning Electron Microscope equipped with Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy / EDAX Octane Pro and EDAX TEAM software
- Zygo 3D Optical Profiler / New View 6K
- Hitachi S-4500 Field Emission Electron Microscope / Nano Magnification Level
- Rigaku Ultima IV X-Ray Diffractometer with several analytical attachments / PDXL Pattern Match Database
- Beckman Coulter Laser Diffraction Particle Size Analyzer
- Nikon Epiphot Inverted Microscope equipped with Nikon-Elements Basic Research software
- Nikon Eclipse MA 100 Inverted Microscope equipped with Nikon-Element D software
- Nikon SMZ 1500 Zoom Microscope equipped with Nikon-Elements Basic Research software
- Nike Eclipse TE 2000-U Microscope equipped with Nikon-Element D software
- Buehler Isomet Plus Precision Saw
- Buehler Pneumet II Sample Mounting Press
- Buehler Vector / Phoenix Beta Sample Grinder / Polisher
- LDS Chemical Fume Hood Etching Station
- Buehler Microhardness Tester - Vickers / Knoop Indenters equipped with Beuhler MHT software
- Buehler Vacuum Sample Pump
- Polaron High Resolution Sputtercoater