The String Project
Violin, Viola & Cello
Classes for 3rd-6th and 7th-12th Graders
Contact: Dan Allcott, DAllcott@tntech.edu
2019-2020 Online Registration Will Open on
Monday, August 12 at 9:00am.
Founded in 2015, The Tennessee Tech String Project exists to provide area children with an early introduction to music and excellent string instrument instruction.
Individual Attention & More
- Classes focus on the specific technique required for each individual instrument.
- Small class size ensure that each student gets the individual attention needed to excel on the string instrument.
- All string students participating in the project have an ensemble experience each week; combining all of the small instrument groups. This combined ensemble will be led by the master teacher.
- String Project Calendar
- Fees & Scholarships
Online Registration for 3rd-6th and 7th-12 Graders /Tennessee Tech's MarketPlace Store (Registration for 2019-2020 Will Open Monday, August 12, 2019 at 9:00am.)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- String Project Faculty
Beginning - Intermediate Classes | Grades 3-6
Classes meet on Mondays at either 3:45-4:30pm OR 5:30-6:15pm (select preference of small ensemble time when you complete the online registration)
- The large group class for beginner/intermediate students meets from 4:30-5:30pm.
Advanced Ensemble Class | Grades 7-12
Mondays, 6:30-7:30pm | Co-directed by Dan Allcott & TBA
- Advanced Ensemble requires a placement audition.
- Auditions will be held (TBA) from 5:30-7:30pm in the Bryan Fine Arts Building at 1150 N. Dixie Avenue in Cookeville.
- All students auditioning for placement in the Advanced Ensemble must be in 1) in Grade 5 or higher; 2) play at a Suzuki Book 2 level or higher; and 3) read music well.
- Auditions will consist of a short excerpt and brief sight reading excerpt (these will be sent by email after registration)
- For more information, please contact Dan Allcott, DAllcott@tntech.edu
7th & 8th Graders...
- Who are finishing Suzuki Book 2 and up, may also take a small group class with the String Project from 5:30-6:15pm.
9th - 12th Graders...
- May participate in the Advanced Ensemble ONLY; and should be playing at a Suzuki Book Level 3 and up.
More About the String Project
The String Project, originally geared to 3rd through 6th grade students from across the region, has grown to include an advanced class for 7th through 12th graders. The String Project classes are on Monday afternoons (12) during the Fall and Spring semesters.
Each week, under the guidance of the Tennessee Tech faculty master teacher of the project, the students will work in small instrument groups led by Tennessee Tech music education string majors/students.
The String Project is a collaboration between Tennessee Tech, The Bryan Symphony Orchestra, and Putnam County Schools.