Pre-Dental Career Track
As a dentist, you’ll play a critical role in detection of diseases in the mouth and help patients maintain the health of their teeth, gums, and other tissues of the oral cavity. Like general medicine, the field of dentistry also consists of different specialities in addition to general dentistry - orthodontics, endodontics, periodontics, and oral surgery, to name a few. Many consider dentistry to be an art as much as a science. To master your technique, you'll need an aesthetic eye with meticulous attention to detail, and good dexterity to work in small spaces.
While pursuing a bachelor's degree at Tennessee Tech, students will follow the suggested career track coursework and engage in related co-curricular activities to prepare for the graduate professional school of their choice.
Most health professional schools and allied health science programs will require academic coursework before students are admitted into the program. Upon completion of your degree from Tech, you will have much of the required coursework completed before applying into dental programs.
Students pursuing the Pre-Dental Career Track typically major in one of the following programs:
- Interdisciplinary Studies
Use the button below to explore more about Dentist career information and job outlook.
Additional information regarding general academic requirements:
Students pursuing the Pre-Dental Career Track participate in the following student organizations. Involvement within these clubs and organizations provide viable experience, networks, and further connects students with their program of study and career goals.
- American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Chemical Medical Sciences Club
- Student Dental Association
- Student Members of the American Chemical Society
- Remote Area Medical Clinic
- Tennessee Tech's Pre-Dental Advising
- American Dental Education Association (ADEA)
- American Dental Education Association Dental School Centralized Application Service - Application
- American Dental Association (ADA)
- Dental Admission Test (DAT)
The following is a non-comprehensive list of professional schools Tech graduates attend upon completion of their coursework at Tennessee Tech.
- Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry
- University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Dentistry
- University of Alabama Birmingham School of Dentistry
- University of Kentucky College of Dentistry
- University of Louisville School of Dentistry
- Lincoln Memorial University - College of Dental Medicine