All students must verify their residency. Many students verify their residency by filling out the FAFSA. Some opt to turn in an EVEA document instead. EVEA refers to the Tennessee Eligibility Verification for Entitlements Act. These documents can be submitted by scanning and emailing one of these documents to

  • EVEA (TCA 4-58-101 et seq.)

    This act (TCA 4-58-101 et seq.) was passed by the Tennessee legislature on October 1, 2012 and is effective for all students applying for admission for terms beginning Spring 2013 and later. The EVEA requires state public institutions of higher education to verify that persons seeking a “state public benefit” are either United States citizens, qualified aliens, or are otherwise lawfully present in the United States.

    The term “state benefit” includes in-state tuition, lottery scholarship, academic scholarship, common market, or any other form of tuition assistance or waiver funded with state-appropriated dollars. State benefit does not include tuition assistance that is privately funded, such as a scholarship from the institution’s foundation or a privately endowed scholarship.

    Full details are available here

If you are not interested in receiving a state benefit, you are not required to verify your citizenship or lawful presence. This will in no way affect your admissibility to Tennessee Tech, but will affect your fees to attend. Per Tennessee state law, students who do not verify citizenship or lawful presence will be charged out-of-state tuition.

Verifying Your Citizenship, Qualified Alien Status, or Lawful Presence

You can verify your citizenship or lawful presence in several ways. The easiest and most recommended way is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This application data is then used to confirm your U.S. citizenship or eligible non-citizen status.-

If you do not wish to complete the FAFSA but would still like to seek state benefits, you can verify your U.S. citizenship, qualified alien status, or lawful presence in the United States by providing one of the following documents:

  • a valid, regular Tennessee driver’s license or identification (ID only) card. Temporary Tennessee Driver licenses, Temporary ID licenses, or licenses from other states are not acceptable;
  • a valid, unexpired, Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) with ID picture;
  • a valid, unexpired, U.S. passport;
  • a certificate of citizenship (N560 or N561);
  • a certificate of naturalization (N550, N570, or N578);
  • a U.S. citizen identification card (I-197, I-179);
  • a valid, unexpired foreign passport with visa stamped “Processed for I-551”;
  • a non-resident alien Canadian border crossing card;
  • Permanent Resident Re-Entry Permit (I-327);
  • Refugee Travel Document (I-571);
  • a valid, unexpired foreign passport with valid visa;
  • any other document determined by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to be acceptable through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) program created pursuant to the federal Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.


You can present either:

  • a valid, government-issued photo ID (such as a regular driver’s license, temporary driver’s license, or identification card) from any other U.S. state;
  • a valid, unexpired Employment Authorization Document (Form I-766, also known as the EAD card);

Plus one of the following documents:

  • a valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) without ID picture;
  • an official birth certificate issued by a U.S. state, jurisdiction, or territory, excepting Puerto Rican birth certificates issued before July 1, 2010;
  • a U.S. government-issued certified birth certificate;
  • a U.S. certificate of birth abroad (DS-1350 or FS-545);
  • a reprint of a certificate of birth abroad of a citizen of the U.S. (FS-240);
  • Arrival/Departure Record (Form I-94);
  • Notice of Approval of Status with bottom I-94 portion attached (Form I-797).

If you are unable to provide the document or combination of documents described above, Tennessee Tech will verify your lawful presence in the U.S. through the SAVE program.

Regarding Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA):
Students who are in “deferred action” status (DACA recipients) are not considered “qualified aliens” or “lawfully present” in the United States under federal or state law. DACA recipients do not qualify for any state benefits, including in-state tuition.

Experience Tech For Yourself

Visit us to see what sets us apart.

Schedule Your Visit