School of Human Ecology
1. The School of Human Ecology will maintain program quality sufficient to meet and/or
exceed accreditation standards from the American Association of Family and Consumer
Sciences (AAFCS) and the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics
2. The School of Human Ecology will maintain sufficient student enrollment at the undergraduate and graduate levels to ensure the viability of the program and course offerings.
3. The School of Human Ecology will maintain adequate faculty with appropriate expertise to deliver a quality program.
Student Learning Outcomes
1. Students will demonstrate competent knowledge in the American Association of Family
and Consumer Sciences Body of Knowledge as evidenced by a score of 70% or better on
the internal Human Ecology Exit Exam.
2. Students will be prepared for life-long success in their careers and for graduate study as evidenced by their critical thinking skills, communication skills and ability to work effectively with others.
Career Opportunities in Human Ecology
TN Tech Human Ecology graduates work in a variety of places. Some examples are:
Child Development/Family Relations:
•Foster and Adoption Facilitator
•Child Care Center Director
•Children Services Agent
•Child Life Specialist
Nutrition and Dietetics:
•Eligibility to apply to Dietetic Internship to become Registered Dietitian
•Community Nutrition/Fitness and Wellness
Family and Consumer Sciences Education:
- Vocational or Occupational FCS Teacher
- Developmental Agencies
- Department of Human Services/Children's Services
- Careers in FCS
Housing and Design:
•Residential Design Planner/Consultant
•Housing and Furnishings Specialist
•Sales Representative/Real Estate Agent
Merchandising and Design:
•Clothing and Textiles Specialist
•Merchandise Buyer/Sales Representative/Retail Manager