Student Outcomes describe what students are expected to know and be able to do by the time of graduation.
- Analyze a complex computing problem and to apply principles of computing and other relevant disciplines to identify solutions.
- Design, implement, and evaluate a computing-based solution to meet a given set of computing requirements in the context of the program's discipline.
- Communicate effectively in a variety of professional contexts.
- Recognize professional responsibilities and make informed judgments in computing practice based on legal and ethical principles.
- Function effectively as a member or leader of a team engaged in activities appropriate to the program's discipline.
- Apply computer science theory and software development fundamentals to produce computing-based solutions.
Process for Reviewing and Revising Student Outcomes
The purpose of the student outcomes is to prepare students to achieve the program objectives that should enable them to succeed as a graduate student or in the workforce. Thus, there is a strong link between program educational objectives and the student outcomes. Consequently, the process for establishing and revising objectives drives the process of establishing and revising student outcomes.
As the program objectives are reviewed and revised, the department faculty, in conjunction with the External Advisory Board (EAB), will simultaneously review and revise the student outcomes in a manner consistent with the ABET guidelines on outcomes.
Our assessment process can also initiate the establishment of new outcomes or the revision of existing outcomes. If the assessment mechanisms indicate that the program is failing to satisfy its program objectives, then, perhaps, the student outcomes are not being met, or, possibly, the outcomes are insufficient to attain the program objectives. Thus, if the student outcomes are being met but we are not satisfying our program objectives, the faculty, with the support of the EAB, will seek to revise the student outcomes to better guide improvements intended to support the attainment of our program objectives.