School of Environmental Studies
What Can You Do With A Degree in Environmental Studies?
The sky's the limit! There are many different areas that ESS majors go into after they graduate from Tennessee Tech University. Here are a few examples:
- Environmental Remediation and Compliance:
- Remediation, Auditing, Air and Water Pollution.
- Soil Science:
- Soil and Water Conservation, Land Use Planning, Agrichemical Management, Fertilizer Technology, Agricultural Production, Reclamation of Contaminated Lands.
- Air or Water Quality Management:
- Laboratory Analysis, Watershed Management, Stream Restoration, Sustainable Infrastructure, Permitting.
- Conservation Planning:
- Natural Resource Planning, Transportation Planning, Recreation Management, Building/Zoning, Park Management.
- Environmental Education and Communication:
- Teaching, Technical Writing, Editing for Publishers, Public Relations, Nature Photography, Journalism.
- Environmental Law:
- Political Action, Lobbying, Science Policy, Regulatory Affairs, Patent Law, Environmental Law, Non-profit, Mediation.
- Waste Management:
- Risk Assessment, Quality Control, Recycling, Environmental Engineering, Industrial Hygiene, Public and Environmental Health.
Tips on how to make the most of your degree:
- Pursue volunteer and internship experience to test fields of interest and gain valuable experience.
- Stay up-to-date with environmental legislation by reading related literature and journals.
- Attend seminars, conferences, and workshops and utilize networking opportunities.
- Utilize the Tennessee Tech University Career Center!