Clay N. Hixson Student Success Center
Recommended Computer Specifications for College of Engineering Students
Currently the college requires students to have an entry level (primary) portable computing device. Note that secondary computing devices like tablets can be used, however they are not considered primary computing devices.
The recommendation below will work well for all academic degrees within the College of Engineering as an entry level computer.
Be sure to check with individual academic programs for any advance configuration requirements.
Microsoft Windows Laptops
- Processor: Intel Core i7 processor or equivalent
- Memory: 8GB RAM (16GB strongly recommended)
- Storage: 500GB solid state drive (SSD) or more - strongly recommended
- Video: 1920 x 1080 resolution. 4K displays may have to be operated at a lower screen resolution to be compatible with some software. Several departments will make use of SolidWorks. There have been some reported issues of graphics cards not being compatible with this program. Students may want to consult https://www.solidworks.com/support/hardware-certification for a list of tested and certified graphics cards for SolidWorks.
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10
Apple Macintosh Laptops*
- Recommended Hardware and OS Specifications
- Processor: Intel Laptops with I5 and above. M1 Laptops (Warning: not all software is compatible)
- Memory: 8GB RAM (16GB strongly recommended, especially if you plan to also run Windows)
- Storage: 500GB solid state drive (SSD) (1TB SSD strongly recommended)
- Video: 1920 x 1080 resolution with minimum screen size of 13 in. (15 inches is probably better or access to an additional monitor). See note under Windows machines for SolidWorks compatibility.
- Operating System: Catalina 10.15 or later
- *** Laptops with only USB-C or Thunderbolt ports will likely require dongles for easier compatibility with USB-3 on campus ***
- USB Flash Drive (64GB or higher)
- USB External Hard Drive (500GB or higher)
- A mouse MAY be preferred over a trackpad; brand/type does not matter.
Hardware and Software Discounts for Tech Employees and Students
Don't forget: Tennessee Department of Revenue Tax Free Weekend