Master of Arts | Education Specialist | Doctoral
Please consult the graduate catalog and your advisor for important steps in your graduate program such as comprehensive exams and applying for graduation.
- Ask About Our Graduate School Flight Path Program
Prospective students, meeting certain criteria, may qualify for an exemption from taking the MAT or GRE graduate entrance exam(s) requirement for our Master's and Educational Specialist degrees.
Students Successfully Completing:
- 3.0 Undergraduate GPA
- EdTPA requirements
- Praxis testing
- Teacher License
Current or former graduate students may start an Educational Specialist degree:
- Tech Master’s degree education students who have graduated within three prior years of application with a 3.5 or higher GPA may enroll in a Specialist in Education degree program without recommendation letters or additional MAT/GRE testing.
The MAT/GRE admission requirement for the C&I Master’s degree will be waived for students who have successfully passed EdTPA, Praxis, and teaching license requirements with an overall minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher.
The requirements will be confirmed through Office of Teacher Education (OTE) and Graduate Studies.
Flight Path becomes effective with graduates beginning in Spring 2016 in all UG licensure areas. Students who meet requirements may waive the MAT/GRE requirement for up to three years beyond their graduation date.
Tech Master’s degree education students who have graduated within three prior years of application with a 3.5 or higher GPA may enroll in a Specialist in Education degree program without recommendation letters or additional MAT/GRE testing.
- Curriculum & Instruction Comprehensive Concentrations (M.A. / Ed.S.)
Click for Programs of Study associated with each degree (M.A. or Ed.S.)
- Applied Behavior Analysis (MA) (Online or Hybrid)
- Curriculum (MA) (EdS) (Online or Hybrid)
- Early Childhood Education (MA) (EdS) (Online or Hybrid)
- Educational Technology (MA) (EdS) (Online)
- Elementary Education (MA) (EdS) (Online or Hybrid)
- Exercise Science (EdS) (Online)
- Family and Consumer Sciences (MA) (EdS) (MA Online)
- Library Science (MA)(EdS)
- Literacy (formerly Reading concentration) (MA) (EdS) (Online)
- Music (MA)
- Secondary Education (MA) (EdS)
- Special Education (MA) (EdS) (Online or Hybrid)
- STEM Education (MA) (EdS)
- Applied Behavior Analysis (M.A.)
Applied Behavior Analysis is a data-centered approach to instruction and behavior change.
- Pursue careers in research, education, medical support services, residential facilities, or private practice.
- As demand increases for services related to autism spectrum disorders and positive behavior intervention systems in schools, our program offers this cutting-edge Master of Arts concentration to meet the needs of a growing profession.
National Board Certification Exam
- The Behavior Analyst Certification Board, Inc. has approved the course sequence as meeting the coursework requirements for eligibility to take the Board Certified Behavior Analyst Examination.
- Pass rates for course sequences verified by the BACB are available here:
- Applicants will have to meet additional requirements to qualify.
Dr. Krystal Kennedy, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 931-372-3105.
- Educational Technology (M.A. / Ed.S.)
The program now has the option for an embedded certificate in "Teaching and Learning Online."
- The MA/EdS in Education degree in Curriculum and Instruction (with a concentration in Educational Technology) is an advanced, online degree program.
- The degree emphasizes a practical approach to implementing innovative technologies into K-12 classrooms.
- In addition to the technology focused curriculum, a research core creates a strong graduate program.
About the Vision Lab
The VISION Lab in Curriculum & Instruction supports the entire College of Education.
The hardware and software will support multiple students and faculty members simultaneously in the virtual environment. In addition to the terminals, the lab is equipped with an Omni treadmill for full interactive immersive activities.
Led by Dr. Beach, the project began with an Improving Teacher Quality grant.
Contact the EdTech Faculty
- Dr. Jason Beach, email@example.com
- Dr. Sandi J. Smith-Andrews, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Jeremy Wendt, email@example.com
Please contact us and we'd be glad to come to your school and share information and answer questions about the program.
- Instructional Leadership (M.A. / Ed.S.)
The Instructional Leadership (INSL) online program prepares graduate candidates seeking licensure for positions as school administrators in Tennessee.
- Each degree requires passing the Administrator's Praxis Exam.
- INSL Programs of Study: MA (PDF); EdS (PDF)
School Leaders Licensure Assessment (SLLA) Praxis Exam: Praxis II
- Office of Teacher Education at Tennessee Tech
- Education Testing Service (ETS)
- ETS Praxis Testing Dates
Tennessee Department of Education / BAL Conversion Information
INSL Field Experience Handbook (PDF)
INSL Benchmarks (PDF)
Praxis Testing Requirements / Tech Procedural Information (PDF)
Licensure Information & Assistance
- M.A. Degree + Licensure (50 credit hours)*
*All licensure components involve recommendations from the Office of Teacher Education.
- Early Childhood + Lic Early Child
- Early Childhood + Lic Early Child/SPED
- Elem Education + Lic Elem Ed K-5
- Library Science + Lic Lib info Spec
- Secondary Ed + Lic English 6-12
- Secondary Ed + Lic Biology 6-12
- Secondary Ed + Lic Chemistry 6-12
- Secondary Ed + Lic Earth Science 6-12
- Secondary Ed + Lic Math 6-12
- Secondary Ed + Lic Math 6-8
- Secondary Ed + Lic Physics 6-12
- Secondary Ed + Lic History / Geography / Government / Economics / Social Studies, 6-12
Special Education (SPED) + Licensure (Lic)
- SPED + Lic SE Comprehensive
- SPED + Lic SE Intervention is K-8
- SPED + Lic SE Interventionist Biology 6-12
- SPED + Lic SE Interventionist English 6-12
- SPED + Lic SE Interventionist History 6-12
- SPED + Lic SE Interventionist Math 6-12
Contact the Department of Curriculum and Instruction for more information.
- Exceptional Learning Ph.D. Concentrations
Applied Behavior Analysis (two strands)
- Young Children & Families
- School-Aged Children & Adult Populations
Health Behaviors & Wellness Education
Program Planning and Evaluation
- Comprehensive Exams for M.A. and Ed.S.
Curriculum and Instructio comprehensive exams are required of all Master's and Ed.S. students in the final semester of their program.
- Questions are generated by the student's graduate committee members.
- The exams are offered each semester.
- Inquire with your graduate advisor for detailed information.
Olivia Newman, firstname.lastname@example.org, will contact each student through their Tech e-mail account and with a letter sent to the address on file with information regarding your exam schedule.