COVID-19 Reporting and Information • HEERF I, II & III

Financial Aid

FWS NotifcationFederal Work Study

Federal Work Study (FWS) is an employment program intended to encourage and promote the part-time employment of students with demonstrated financial need, as well as assist the University. This program is awarded primarily to undergraduate students with financial need as determined by the results from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Due to funding restrictions, there is no guarantee FWS will be awarded to all eligible students.

FWS money is not credited to a student's account and cannot be used to confirm registration. Students are expected to budget carefully and use their FWS income wisely to support their educational expenses. Income earned through FWS does not have to be repaid. A student's FWS hourly salary will not be lower, but may exceed the federal minimum wage. Students are paid once a month for hours worked. Generally, students may work 5-10 hours per week while school is in session.

Click here to see if you Qualify for an On-Campus Job!

Learn more about Federal Work Study…

  • How do I apply for Federal Work Study?

    Federal Work Study is awarded based on eligibility as determined by your completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and on a first come, first serve basis.   Students must indicate on the FAFSA that they are interested in FWS.

  • How do I accept my Federal Work Study?

    If awarded FWS, the student must ACCEPT the offer on Eagle Online. You have 14 days from the date your award is posted to accept your FWS offer. If you do not accept the FWS, the award may be removed and gifted to another eligible student.

  • How do I find out my job assignment for FWS or UAS service assignment?

    Available jobs are posted on the Student Job Portal. After the student has read the job listings that are posted, you can submit an application for one or more jobs that you are interested in.

    Once the office or department has selected the candidate, the supervisor will complete and submit the appropriate hire request to the Office of Financial Aid. Once the Office of Financial Aid has received and processed the request, an email will be sent to the student and department notifying them of the approval. The student must then log in to the Student Job Portal to Accept or Decline the job offer.

    You may view examples of job descriptions by going to our UAS/Federal Work Study Job Description page.

  • When can I start my FWS or University Academic Service (UAS) Assignment?

    The student must first apply and be hired through the Student Job Portal. All start dates will be subject to approval by the Office of Financial Aid. Notifications and updates will be sent to your Tennessee Tech email giving you details on your assignment. Employment may begin as early as the first day of class and must end on the last day of class.

    Please note, not all Admissions scholarships have a service component. For more information please visit the Scholarship Office website.

  • Do I need an I-9 card to complete my FWS assignment hours?

    Yes. If you have FWS assignment and do not have a current I-9 card, please go to .  Please create an account and verify the account with the verification code sent to the email you provided.  Log-in with your User Name and Password.  Enter the application station code of TNTECHI9 (all caps).  Then complete section 1 of the I-9 form.

    When you arrive on campus, you will need to visit the Office of Human Resources, located in Derryberry Hall RM 146 and bring the required identification to complete the I-9 processes.  Most common examples of identification include:  a valid Passport or a combination of your Social Security card (or birth certificate) and a phot ID (driver's license).  Other documents are acceptable and can be referenced on the Truescreen site listed above.

    Please note:  Original documents are required, Office of Human Resources will not accept copies, faxes or scans.

     QR Code

  • Do I have to accept the Federal Work Study award?

    No. You can turn down your offer for Federal Work Study.  Please keep in mind, if you do not work, you will not be paid the FWS offer amount listed on Eagle Online.  Turning down your work assignment for this year, does not jeopardize your eligibility for future years. 


  • How am I paid for my FWS hours?

    Hours worked each day must be recorded on an individual time sheet located in the Student Job Portal. The supervisor will report the hours worked to Office of Human Resources through the Student Job Portal system at the end of the month. Students are paid once a month on the 10th day of every month. Students are encouraged to set up a direct deposit here:

    If you have never received FWS pay and have not been previously enrolled in direct deposit, your first check will need to be picked up in Bursar’s Office, Derryberry Hall, Cashiers Windows 1-4.

    Please make reasonable efforts to pick up your paycheck as soon as possible between your scheduled class times. After your first paycheck, you will then begin receiving all additional paychecks within the designated direct deposit. If pay dates fall on a holiday or weekend, paychecks will be deposited on the workday prior to the weekend or holiday.

  • Can FWS students work when their classes are cancelled?

    TECH students’ primary responsibility is to attend all class and laboratory meetings for those courses in which they are enrolled. FWS student workers must never work during a scheduled class time, even if that class is cancelled.  Due to COVID if your “In-Person” class alternates between meeting online/classroom or your professor assigns designated dates to be in class, you are still not allowed to work during scheduled class times.  If your hybrid classes have a scheduled class time, you are still not allowed to work during those scheduled class times regardless if your class is meeting.

  • How can I change my FWS or UAS service assignment?

    In order to be considered for a new placement, a student must formally resign in writing from their current FWS position by notifying Office of Financial Aid and their supervisor.  Students should offer to give reasonable notice (usually two weeks) to their present supervisor.  This courtesy of advance notice will allow the supervisor time to adjust working schedules and attempt to secure a replacement.

    The student will need to seek additional placement opportunities within JobX.  Please note, job postings are based on an entire award year.  Should you choose to resign, that does not guarantee additional availability for transfer to another department.

Experience Tech For Yourself

Visit us to see what sets us apart.

Schedule Your Visit