International Admission's Requirements
General GPA requirements for all majors is a 2.50 on a 4.00 scale. A few programs at Tennessee Tech have additional admission requirements for admission. If a student meets the general admission requirements, but not the requirements specific to their program, the student will be admitted to the interdisciplinary studies major with a student attribute to denote the program of interest. Again, these additional requirements only affect which academic adviser you have, not which classes you will take.
you can apply HERE
Programs with additional requirements:
- Engineering (incl. Computer Science & Engineering Technology): 3.00 GPA
- Nursing: 3.00 GPA
- Health-Related Pre-Professional Programs: 3.00 GPA
- Tennessee Tech will accept Chinese applicants using the Gaokao exam. 高考
Gaokao Scores: The Chinese National Entrance Examination Test establishes admissibility based on each applicants Gaokao score. Students seeking admission by means of Gaokao must present the Gaokao transcript along with their high school Graduation Certificate.
Applicants will be offered admissions with the condition that they must show proof of English ability either by TOEFL or IELTS or CET or any other alternative test.
Steps to Admission
For instructions on How to Apply for your specific student type, visit the International Admissions' How to Apply page. General requirements for admission can be found below.
- Steps to Admission
Step 1: Apply
To apply, you must first fill out the online application here or download the paper application here. The paper application may be emailed or mailed once completed. If you are a graduate student, stop here. You must visit Graduate Studies and fill out a Graduate application instead.
Note: To be a student at Tennessee Tech, you must also pay the one-time, non-refundable application fee. If you do not have a credit card, you can apply and pay the application fee later.
Step 2: Submit Documents
You will need to submit the following items:
- Originals or certified copies of all marked sheets (all years of high school), transcripts, diplomas, leaving certificates, A or O levels, and/or leaving certificates from high school or other academic institutions. Please note: you can initially email a copy of your transcripts for an initial admissions review.
- Official translations must be provided when originals are not in English.
- If you are a college or university transfer student who attended university overseas and who is requesting transfer credit, first check to see if your institution is recognized in the USA by going to World Higher Education Database. If your institution is listed, we may require course descriptions of each class and they must accompany the transcripts. If your institution is not listed, you will need to have an official evaluation done by World Education Services at www.wes.org/required-documents and/or Educational Perspectives at https://edperspective.org/. Students from nations where it is difficult to send more than one copy may send a copy to Tennessee Tech for initial review.
Step 3: Submit Test Scores
If you have any exams, please submit these for admission. We only require one of the following tests for admission.
We accept the following:
- TOEFL IBT of 61 or higher, or the paper-based TOEFL of 490 or higher
- TOEIC of 600+ or IELTS of 5.5
- SAT scores (the SAT test is optional) of at least 460 in Critical Reading or 460 in Math; students wishing to study Nursing, Engineering or Health-Related Pre-Professional programs have higher score requirements.
- ACT scores (the ACT test is also optional) of 17 in English or Math; students wishing to study Nursing, Engineering or Health-Related Pre-Professional programs have higher score requirements.
- Students who have taken AP courses, IB (International Baccalaureate) courses, or Cambridge O or A levels should submit their results as they may be entitled to college credits.
For a complete list of test scores that Tennessee Tech will accept, click here.
Step 4: Once you are admitted, you can apply for a visa.
All students must provide their home address to be able to receive an immigration document for your visa called the I-20. Be sure to use your home (overseas) address if you require an I-20. We will also need a copy of your passport for the issuance of the I-20.
Step 5: Submit Required Documents
All required materials should be submitted to:Office of International Education
Tennessee Tech University
Campus Box 5093
Cookeville, TN 38505 USA Phone: (931) 372-3634
Fax: (931) 372-3674
Upon being admitted to the university, you will receive a letter congratulating you on your admittance. Your acceptance letter will also contain instructions on the next steps you need to take to become a full-time Tennessee Tech student. You will also need to visit the International Education website for more information on courses offered, course descriptions, insurance, etc.
Step 6: Scholarships (if available)
Only admitted students are eligible for scholarships. You can apply for scholarships at tntech.edu/scholarships. Tennessee Tech's Office of International Education has scholarships available exclusively for International Undergraduate students. Scholarships are limited, so be sure to apply early!