Requirements To Join ROTC
Participating Students - Any student enrolled at Tennessee Tech University can try out ROTC Military Science Classes! Simply enroll in the Freshman Military Science Course (MS1010 - Fall and MS1020 - Spring) and/or the Physical Training Class (MS1000) and you are in! Speak with your Academic Advisor when registering for the semester and they can get Military Science (ROTC) added to your schedule.
Enrolled Cadets - In order to gain the title of "Cadet" and be officially enrolled in the ROTC Basic Course (Freshman and Sophomore year classes) you must meet the following minimum requirements. Once enrolled as a Cadet, you are eligible to be issued a uniform and attend Field Training Exercises, Military Science Labs, and other training events:
- Academic Status: Full time enrollment defined as 15 academic hours (12 hours + 3 ROTC hours) pursuing an accredited undergraduate or graduate degree at Tennessee Tech.
- Conscientious Objection: Not a conscientious objector.
- Character: Good moral character - no domestic violence conviction or felonies. Misdemeanor convictions are evaluated on a case by case basis.
- Tattoos: Cannot have any tattoo/brand on face, neck, or head; no racists, extremist, or sexist tattoos or anything else prejudicial to good order and discipline.
- Citizenship: U.S. Citizen - dual citizens must renounce foreign citizenship prior to receiving a security clearance.
- Medical: Medical pre-screen completed by University Health Clinic clearing you for physical activity.
Contracted Cadets - In order to Contract and begin receiving the $420/month stipend and be eligible to attend fully-funded ROTC training opportunities such as paid military internships, military schools (Airborne or Air Assault), and Advanced Camp, you must meet additional requirements as outlined by the Cadet Command Form 139-R. All Cadets must Contract prior to the start of their Junior year in order to be admitted into Upper Division Military Science Classes. The list below is a summary of requirements and not all inclusive. Waivers are possible for some of criteria listed below:
- Academic Status: Enrolled full-time and possesses a cumulative college GPA of 2.0 (non-scholarship) or 2.5 (scholarship).
- Physical Fitness: Must pass a record Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) with a minimum score of 180 and at least 60 points in each event (push-ups, sit-ups, and 2-mile run)
- Medical: Must be fully medically qualified with a DoDMERB physical
- Age: At least 17 years of age and will be less than 30 years old at time of commissioning
- Prior Military Service: Honorably Discharged with a qualifying RE Code of 1 on DD214 or currently a member of the US Army Reserve or National Guard.
Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP):
Allows a Cadet to serve in either the U.S. Army Reserve or Tennessee Army National Guard while also completing ROTC requirements. Once you complete ROTC, then you will commission as an officer. SMP Cadets serve as Officer Trainees in the Reserve or National Guard while completing college and earn Reserve/Guard pay and benefits in addition to your Army ROTC allowances.