Carrick Group News:
- June 2021-Congratulations to Mariah for successfully defending her M.S. thesis!
- June 2021-Congratulations to Zac for successfully defending his M.S. thesis!
- Dr. Carrick
Jesse D. Carrick, Ph.D.
Department of Chemistry
TN Tech University
Campus Box 5055
803 Stadium Dr.
Lab Science Commons, Rm 3304
Cookeville, TN 38505-0001
P: (931) 372-6199
A.S. 2000 Motlow State Community College
B.S. 2002 Middle TN State University (Prof. Norma K. Dunlap)
M.S. 2005 Indiana University-Bloomington (Prof. David R. Williams)
Ph.D. 2008 The University of Alabama (Prof. Michael P. Jennings)
Jesse D. Carrick was born in Murfreesboro, TN and spent his formative years on the family farm near Shelbyville, TN. He attended Cascade High School, Wartrace, TN and graduated with an Honors diploma in 1998. Carrick attended Motlow State Community College and graduated with an A.S. in 2000. He was introduced to the art and science of chemical synthesis as an undergraduate student at Middle Tennessee State University with Prof. Norma K. Dunlap earning an ACS-certified B.S. in chemistry in 2002. Carrick then relocated to Indiana University, Bloomington where he contributed to efforts toward the total synthesis of the marine natural product amphidinolide C in the laboratory of Prof. David R. Williams, earning his M.S. in 2005. Carrick completed his doctoral work at The University of Alabama in 2008 under the direction of Prof. Michael P. Jennings where he accomplished a formal synthesis of the marine natural product (−)-clavosolide a.
He obtained professional experience as a Senior Research Scientist in chemical development (process) at Albany Molecular Research Inc., in Albany, NY from 2009-10 and returned to academia as a Visiting Assistant Professor of Chemistry at Union College, Schenectady, NY (2010-11) where he initiated research in the area of organic synthesis with undergraduates.
Carrick accepted a tenure-track appointment as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Chemistry at Tennessee Technological University, Cookeville, TN in 2011, was tenured and promoted to Associate Professor in 2016, and promoted to Professor in 2021. Research in the Carrick group is currently focused in two distinct, but complementary student-training areas: Synthesis of heterocyclic complexants for chemoselective minor actinide separations, and Total synthesis of biologically relevant natural products.
When not in the lab he enjoys studying American history, fishing, gardening, and drag racing.
- Current Research
This information is coming soon. Please check back later for updates.
19. Prediction of An(III)/Ln(III) Separation by 1,2,4-Triazinylpyridine Derivatives Marcos M. Mason, Caris Smith, Monica Vasiliu, Jesse D. Carrick, and David A. Dixon The Journal of Physical Chemistry A 2021 125 (30), 6529-6542 DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpca.1c01854
18. Downs, R. P.; Xiao, Z.; Ikedionwu, M. O.; Cleveland, J. W.; Chin, A.-L.; Cafferty, A. E.; Quarles, L. D.; Carrick, J. D.* Design and development of FGF-23 antagonists: Definition of the pharmacophore and initial structure-activity relationships probed by synthetic analogues. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry 2021, 29, 115877. DOI: 10.1016/j.bmc.2020.115877. View article.
17. Waters, G. D.; Carrick, J. D. "Convergent access to bis-1,2,4-triazinyl-2,2’-bipyridines (BTBPs) and 2,2’-bipyridines via a Pd-catalyzed Ullman-type reaction." RSC Advances 2020, 10, 10807–10815. View this article.
16. Gulledge, Z. Z.; Carrick, J. D.* Chemoselective BOC-deprotection of functionalized heteroarenes using an addition/elimination strategy. European Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2020, 12, 1817–1822. View this article
15. Gulledge, Z. Z.; Tedder, M. L.; Lyons, K. R.; Carrick, J. D.* Synthesis of tridentate indolyl pyridinyl [1,2,4] triazine Lewis basic complexants via Pd-catalyzed Suzuki-Miyaura cross-coupling. ACS Omega, 2019, 4, 18855–18866. View this article
14. Veerakanellore, G. B.; Smith, C. M.; Vasiliu, M.; Oliver, A. G.; Dixon, D. A.; Carrick, J. D.* Synthesis of 1H-pyrazol-5-yl-pyridin-2-yl-[1,2,4]triazinyl soft-Lewis basic complexants via metal and oxidant free [3+2] dipolar cycloaddition of terminal ethynyl pyridines with tosylhydrazides. Journal of Organic Chemistry 2019, 84, 14558–14570. View this article
13. Chaudhuri, S.; Carrick, J. D.* Synthetic access to functionalized dipolarophiles of Lewis Basic Complexant Scaffolds through Sonogashira Cross-Coupling. Journal of Organic Chemistry 2018, 83, 10261−10271, View this article
12. Smith, C. D.; Downs, R. P.; Carrick, J. D.; Dietz, M. L.* Determination of extractant solubility in ionic liquids by thermogravimetric analysis. Solvent Extraction and Ion Exchange 2018, 36, 304−314. View this article
11. Lambert, A. E.; Carrick, J. D.* Diversification of 6-bromo-2-substituted pyridine derivatives via Suzuki-Miyaura cross-coupling. Journal of Heterocyclic Chemistry 2018, 55, 1232−1239, View this article
10. Hill, T. G.; Chin, A.-L.; Tai, S.; Carrick, J. D.; Ensor, D. D.; Delmau, L. H. Separation of americium from europium using 3,3’-dimethoxy-phenyl-bis-1,2,4-triazinyl-2,6-pyridine. Separation Science and Technology 2018, 53, 1848−1855, View this article
9. Tevepaugh, K. N.; Coonce, J. G.; Tai, S.; Delmau, L. H.; Carrick, J. D.; Ensor, D. D. Chromatographic separation of americium from europium using bis-2,6-(5,6,7,8-tetrahydro-5,9,9-trimethyl-5,8-methano-1,2,4-benzotriazin-3-yl) pyridine. Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry 2017, 314(1), 371−376. View this article
8. Cleveland, J. W.; Carrick, J. D.* Pd-catalyzed amination of functionalized 6-bromo-pyridinyl-1,2,4-triazine complexant scaffolds. European Journal of Organic Chemistry 2017, 2017(23) 3318−3327. View this article
7. Downs, R. P.; Chin, A.-L.; Dean, K. M.; Carrick, J. D.* Synthesis of functionalized hemi-1,2,4-triazinyl-[2,2’]-bipyridines via telescoped condensation of [2,2']-bipyridinyl-6-carbonitrile. Journal of Heterocyclic Chemistry 2017, 54(6), 3008−3014. View this article
6. Xiao, Z. S.; Riccardi, D.; Velazquez, H. A.; Chin, A.-L.; Yates, C. R.; Carrick, J. D.; Smith, J. C.; Baudry, J.; Quarles, L. D. Computationally identified novel chemical compounds that antagonize FGF-23. Science Signaling 2016, 9(455), ra113-Cover Story. View this article
5. Tai, S.; Marchi, S. V.; Carrick, J. D.* Efficient preparation of pyridinyl-1,2,4-triazines via telescoped condensation with diversely functionalized 1,2-dicarbonyls. Journal of Heterocyclic Chemistry 2016, 53, 1138−1146. View this article
4. Chin, A.-L.; Carrick, J. D.* Modular approaches to diversified soft Lewis basic complexants through Suzuki-Miyaura cross-coupling of bromoheteroarenes with organotrifluoroborates. Journal of Organic Chemistry 2016, 81, 1106−1115. View this article
3. Tevepaugh, K. N.; Carrick, J. D.; Tai, S.; Coonce, J. G.; Delmau, L. H.; Ensor, D. D. Separation of americium from europium using camphor-bistriazinyl pyridine. Solvent Extraction and Ion Exchange 2016, 34, 13−25. View this article
2. Tai. S., Williams, N. J.; Carrick, J. D.* Synthesis of bis-1,2,4-triazines via telescoped condensation of [1,10]-phenanthroline-2,9-dicarbonitrile with aromatic 1,2-dicarbonyls. Journal of Heterocyclic Chemistry 2016, 53, 307−312. View this article
1. Tai, S.; Marchi, S. V.; Dover, E. J.; Carrick, J. D.* Pd-catalyzed diamination of dibromo-1,2,4-triazinyl complexant scaffolds. Journal of Organic Chemistry 2015, 80, 6275−6282. View this article
- Group Members
Current Group Members
Fortune O. Dzeagu, M.S. student, firstname.lastname@example.org, LSC 3312
Connor C. Pinson, email@example.com, LSC 3312
Alex M. Stovall, firstname.lastname@example.org, LSC 3312
Former M.S. Students
- Gulledge, Zachary Z., B.S., Chemistry 2019, 8/26/19−8/6/21, Chemoselective BOC deprotection of functionalized indoles, 1,2-indazoles, and related heteroarenes, Green oxidation of functionalized heteroarylisoprenes, Azide-free preparation of functionalized, unsymmetric heteroaryl soft-donors for minor actinide separations
- Tedder, Mariah L., B.S., Chemistry 2019, 8/26/19−8/6/21, Synthesis of alkoxy- homologues of functionalized
bis-1,2,4-triazinyl complexants scaffolds for minor actinide separations, Kornblum-type
oxidation of functionalized methyheteroarenes. Ph.D. student, Organic Chemistry,
Boston College University
Former B.S. Students
- Chin, Ai Lin, B.S., Chemical Engineering 2015, Synthesis of functionalized silyl-enol ethers by a direct catalytic Wacker-type C-H activation reaction of alkenes, Total synthesis of ieodomycins A and B, Suzuki-Miyaura cross-coupling of Lewis-basic heterocyclic complexant scaffolds, FGF-23 antagonists, Ph.D. student, Chem. Eng., Virginia Tech
- Cleveland, Alexander H., B.S., Chemistry 2015, The total synthesis of hamigeromycin b (polyketide synthon of convergent route), Ph.D., 2020, Organic Chemistry, Louisiana State University (Prof. R. Kartika)
- Cleveland, Jacob W., B.S., Chemical Engineering 2017, Buchwald-Hartwig amination of 6-bromo-2-pyridinyl-1,2,4-triazines, Ph.D. student, Chem. Eng., Georgia Inst. Tech (Prof. C. Jones)
- Dean, Kayla M., B.S., Chemical Engineering 2017, Preparation of bis-triazinylbipyridines via regioselective metalation/Negishi coupling
- Dover, Evan J., B.S., Chemical Engineering 2016, Tandem Fries rearrangement/ nucleopalladation chemistry, Buchwald-Hartwig alkoxylation of 4,4’-dibromo aromatic 1,2,4-triazinyl pyridines towards chemoselective minor actinide extraction
- Downs, Ryan P., B.S., Chemical Engineering 2017, Regioselective magnesiation of aryl amides and subsequent functionalization, Negishi Coupling, FGF-23 antagonists, Progress towards the total synthesis of hamigeromycin b
- Ikedionwu, Munachi O., B.S., Biology-Vanderbilt University 2019, FGF-23 antagonists; Progress towards the total synthesis of hamigeromycin b
- Jordan, 2nd Lt. James A., B.S., Biochemistry 2016, Progress towards the total synthesis of hamigeromycin b, 2nd Lt. U. S. Army, M.D., 2020, East Tennessee State University
- Kirby, John W., B.S., Biochemistry 2013, Progress towards the total synthesis of hamigeromycin b (polyketide synthon of convergent route), M.D., 2018, East Tennessee State University, Resident at the Mayo Clinic, MN
- Lambert, Abigail, E., B.S. Chemical Engineering 2019, Pd-catalyzed Suzuki-Miyaura cross-coupling of functionalized 2-halopyridines
- Laxton, Steven J., B.S., Biochemistry 2019, Convergent approaches to frustrated soft-Lewis basic donor complexant scaffolds, M.D. student, University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center
- Lyons, Kyle R., B.S., Biochemistry 2019, Synthesis of pyridinyl indole 1,2,4-triazinyl frustrated complexant scaffolds for separations
- Marchi, Sydney, V., B.S., Chemistry 2015, Design and synthesis of 3-pyridin-2-yl 1,2,4-triazines for chemoselective minor actinide extraction, Suzuki coupling of 4,4’-dibromo aromatic 1,2,4-triazinyl pyridine, Ph.D. student, The University of Alabama (Prof. S. Woski)
- Probasco, Michael S., B.S., Chemistry 2014, Progress towards the total synthesis of hamigeromycin b (aromatic synthon of convergent route), Ph.D., Organic Chemistry 2019, The University of Alabama (Prof. M. Jennings)
- Qiu, David, B.S., Chemistry-Vanderbilt University 2020, Progress towards the total synthesis of hamigeromycin b
- Richards, Kelsey D., B.S. Chemistry 2016, Design, synthesis, and evaluation of nitrogen-donor complexants for Cd separations, High School Chemistry Teacher, Gallatin, TN
- Stephens, Madison T., B.S., Biochemistry 2016, Progress towards the total synthesis of botryolide e, M.D., 2020, University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center
- Tai, Serene, B.S., Chemistry 2015, Design and synthesis of novel bis-1,2,4-trazinyl ligands for chemoselective minor actinide extraction, Buchwald-Hartwig amination of 4,4’-dibromo aromatic 1,2,4-triazinyl pyridines, M.S., Organic Chemistry, University of Pittsburgh (Prof. Wipf)
- Waters, Gabrielle D., B.S., Chemical Engineering 2021, 1/11/18−5/5/21, Synthetic approaches to BTBP complexant scaffolds leveraging metal-mediated coupling strategies
CHEM 6210 Advanced Organic Chemistry
CHEM 3010 Organic Chemistry I
CHEM 3020 Organic Chemistry II