Student Members of the American Chemical Society (SMACS)
Do you love chemistry? Learn why chemistry is called the central science, how you can get involved in undergraduate research, and get to know others who share your love of chemistry. The ACS student members are not only a cohesive group of chemistry majors, but we have members from all different majors across campus. Our group is active in outreach because we want to inspire others to see the value chemistry brings to their lives.
As a member of SMACS, you'll also have the opportunity to become a national member of the ACS, the largest organization in the world dedicated to a single discipline. National members receive a subscription of the weekly magazine, Chemical and Engineering News. Our chapter is ranked as an Outstanding Chapter which places us in the top level of student chapters both domestically and internationally. We achieve this awards status due to our number, diversity, and quality of outreach, professional development, and social activities. The many other benefits of membership (as well as a lot of great chemistry resources) can be found at the ACS website.
Contact Dr. Amanda Carroll (firstname.lastname@example.org) or check out the SMACS Facebook page for more information.
- President: Rebecca Firth, email@example.com
- Vice President: Chance Morris, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secretary: Claudia McDavid, email@example.com
- Treasurer: Brayden Copeland, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Social Co-Chairs: Claire Rust, email@example.com and Danielle Ferguson, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fundraising Co-chairs: Bailey Talent, email@example.com
- Green Chemistry Chair: Andrew Nguyen, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Co-chairs: Grey Coulter, email@example.com and Diana Popa, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Education Outreach Chair: Drew Byrum, email@example.com
Student Chapter of the American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB)
Are you interested in the cross-disciplinary field of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology? If so, then this club may be just for you! The ASBMB is a club that brings together students in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Biology and any other majors with interests in the molecular Biosciences. Local and regional speakers provide career advisement through the presentation of symposia, the offering of plant tours and academic curricular decision-making. Plus, it brings students together with similar interests and career goals. Student affiliates receive an online subscription to the Journal of Biological Chemistry, and many more opportunities as an ASBMB member. More information can be found at the ASBMB web site. Contact Dr. Derek Cashman for more information. Or you may go to the Tennessee Tech Student Affiliates ASBMB Facebook site.
- President: Karol Guerra, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice President: Alex Walker, email@example.com
- Treasurer: Ashlee Shereill, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secretary: Cayden Kirby, email@example.com
- Golden Helix 5K Race Director: Arabella Faircloth, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Historian: Alex Davidson, email@example.com
Chemical-Medical Sciences Club
Are you interested in a professional career in health sciences? Do you aspire to become a physician, a dentist or dental hygienist, an optometrist or pharmacist, or one of many other medical professionals? If this is your goal, then you simply must be a member of the Chem-Med Club. This club puts you in touch with the professionals you need to know if you are interested in a professional career. Medical professionals visit the Chem-Med Club meetings and share the ins and outs of their profession and help you understand what it takes to be successful, and what it takes to get into a professional graduate program as well! The club meets every 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month at 11:00am in Foster Hall, Room 233. Contact Ms. Ann Marie Carrick for more information.
- President: Emma Jones, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice President: Maggie Teat, email@example.com
- Secretary: Kerstian Kelsey, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer: Austin McCowan, email@example.com
- Historians: Lauren Cope, firstname.lastname@example.org