Counseling and Psychology
Bachelor of Science: Psychology
Psychology is one of the most popular undergraduate majors at Tech despite the demanding curriculum which emphasizes research and culminates with a senior thesis.
- Program and Requirements
The program offers a broad range of courses including, Developmental Psychology, Learning and Cognition, Social Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Industrial\Organizational Psychology, Bio-Psychology, Psychology of Personality, Counseling, Experimental Psychology, and Data Analysis.
- Students must take a total of 43 credit hours in psychology and are encouraged to sample courses in the diverse areas of the field to fulfill personal interests and explore vocational possibilities.
- Students also have a total of 39 free elective credit hours to sample additional courses in psychology or other disciplines.
Undergraduate Checklist (pdf)
Psychology majors go to the College of Education's Student Success Center to register for classes each semester in rooms 202 & 302 of the T.J. Farr Building.
- Professional advisors have been trained to help you select courses and complete the registration process.
- Juniors and Seniors will need to meet with their faculty mentor before they can register for classes in the Student Success Center.
- Student Success Center | P: 931-372-6036 | E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Psychology Club Fundraiser
- Faculty Mentoring
Psychology majors can meet with a faculty member to discuss career plans, courses to take for different career paths, graduate school, and opportunities to get involved in research and psychology related activities.
- Each student is assigned a faculty mentor when they become a psychology major. Contact one of the professional advisors for psychology to locate your faculty mentor or Elizabeth Honeycutt, email@example.com.
- Please make an appointment to talk with your faculty mentor in advance.
- Minor in Psychology
A minor in psychology consists of 15 hours of PSY courses and must include 6 Upper Division hours (3000 or higher).
- Applied Experience
- In addition to the formal classroom and laboratory training, practicums are available for the students to gain experience and test their vocational aspirations in a variety of applied settings.
- There is also an active psychology club that invites guest speakers of interest, makes field trips and attends state and regional psychological conventions. Tennessee Tech has a chapter of Psi Chi, the national honor society in psychology.
- Fast Track
The Fast Track program is designed to enable TTU undergraduates to accumulate up to six (6) credit hours of graduate coursework in Counseling and Psychology while still pursuing their undergraduate degree and to transition to the Counseling and Psychology graduate program smoothly, with accelerated completion.
Up to six (6) hours of graduate coursework can be used to satisfy both undergraduate and graduate degree requirements. These courses must be taken at Tennessee Tech University. Students who successfully complete Fast Track program are exempt from the GRE graduate admission requirement.
The minimum admission requirements for participating in the C&P Fast Track Program are:
- Enrolled as a TTU undergraduate Psychology major with senior standing.
- Overall GPA of at least 3.0 or better.
- Approval from C&P graduate faculty or graduate faculty advisor and Chairperson.
Meet with your advisor to determine program eligibility.
- Instruction, Facilities, and Research
The personal approach to research necessitates close contact with instructors and fosters an apprenticeship system. To facilitate this approach, research-oriented courses typically are small and have fewer than 15 students.
- The psychological laboratories are equipped for studies in group dynamics, learning, cognition, perception, development, human physiology, and industrial psychology. In addition, the laboratories include facilities for computerized data collection and analysis.
- This research training culminates in a senior thesis of the student's own design. Some of these research projects are presented at regional and national psychological conventions or published in scientific journals.
- Scholarships and Awards
Jessica Kelley Memorial Scholarship Recipients with Mr. Kelley