Counseling and Psychology
Graduate Admissions Requirements
Master's | Education Specialist
GPA: A minimum 3.0 undergraduate and graduate; preferably 3.5 GPA for EdS applicants
Official GRE scores: valid scores (no more than five  years old at the time of application); minimum score requirements:
Writing: 4.0 score
Students who have successfully completed Tennessee Tech's Fast Track program and meet all other requirements for admission to graduate school may be exempted from taking the GRE. Participation in Fast Track is not a guarantee of admission.
Please make certain to send the scores to Tennessee Tech University/TTU (1804).
Three (3) Letters of Recommendation: these letters should be from individuals, preferably professors, who are able to describe your scholarly aptitude and the ways your skills, talents, experiences, and qualities make you an attractive candidate and will set you up for success as a graduate student; and,
Proof of residency: copy of a valid driver’s license or passport.
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or FLS (Functional Life Skills) scores: All applicants from countries whose primary language is not English are required to submit evidence of proficiency in English equivalent to level 18 in FLS.
Note: Applicants who have citizenship in a country where English is a primary language or have been awarded a degree from a university in one of the following countries are exempt from the FLS requirement: Australia, Belize, the British Caribbean and British West Indies, Canada (except Québec), England, Guyana, Ireland, Liberia, New Zealand, Scotland, the United States, and Wales.
To apply for the M.A. or Ed.S. in one of our concentrations, you will need to complete the following process:
- Open a graduate application through the College of Graduate Studies
Please remember that while Graduate Studies accepts applications for fall through July 1, the Department of Counseling and Psychology has a deadline of December 1 (starting for Fall 2024 applications).
- Select the degree type (M.A. or Ed.S.), major (Counseling & Psychology), and your
desired concentration: Psychology, Clinical and Mental Health Counseling, School Counseling,
or School Psychology
- As part of your application, you will need to submit:
- official transcripts from all postsecondary institutions you have attended: you may upload an unofficial copy to your application, but the official transcripts must be received for your application to be complete;
- official GRE scores: as with transcripts, you may upload an unofficial copy to your application, but the official scores must be received for your application to be complete;
- three (3) letters of recommendation; and,
- proof of residency;
- international students: All applicants from countries in which the official language is not English are required to submit evidence of proficiency in English equivalent to Level 18 in FLS.
- Once the application if fully complete, it will be processed and sent to the department for review.
- After initial review, qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
- Once all interviews have been completed, final cohort admissions decisions will be made. Applicants who are accepted will need to contact the department after acceptance to confirm their intent to enroll in the upcoming fall cohort.