Society, Culture & Communication
About Society, Culture and Communication
Choose a Program of Study in:
- Learn how social systems interact with the environment.
- Explore how cultural values and beliefs influence the way people use the environment.
- Study how organizations address environmental problems and how complex concepts regarding those issues are communicated.
- Environmental & Sustainability Studies programs at Tennessee Tech are supported by cutting-edge resource centers:
- The Center for the Management, Utilization, and Protection of Water Resources and the Millard Oakley STEM Center for the Teaching and Learning of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.
Environmental Society, Culture, & Communication at Tennessee Tech
- These concentrations offer students the opportunity to pursue their passions in a meaningful way as they apply scientific principles to environmental issues.
- Course work examines current topics through social, political and economic perspectives.
- Students analyze and propose sustainable solutions for complex, real-world environmental problems.
- The program culminates in a hands-on experience or research project addressing an actual environmental problem.
Society, Culture & Communication: Leadership & Environmental Management / 45 hours
Concentration Core (21 hours) / Required for Each Focus of Study
- JOUR 2200 / Mass Communication in a Changing Society(3)
- COMM 2075 / Organizational Communication (3)
- PC 3250 / Professional Communication I (3)
- BMGT 3510 / Management & Organization Behavior (3)
- ECON 4200 / Environmental Economics (3)
- POLS 1030 / American Government (3)
- ENGL 4931 / Literature and the Environment (3)
Curriculum: Leadership & Environmental Management Option
Choose the following four courses: (12)
- COMM 4420 /
Advanced Organizational Communication (3)
- PADM 4226 /
Intro. to Nonprofit Organizations (TN eCampus) (3)
- PSY 3590 /
Psychology of Personality (TN eCampus) (3)
ESS 4300 /
Environmental Management Systems (3)
Free Electives (12)