Research - Toolkit
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the ensuing stress on proposers, the research community
has not been able to adequately prepare and train their staff for the implementation
of the new requirements.
NSF has therefore made the decision to delay the requirement to use NSF-approved formats for the biographical sketch and current and pending support sections of NSF proposals until October 5, 2020.
NSF will continue to implement all other changes to the PAPPG beginning June 1, 2020.
- The research toolkit provides samples and templates for common proposal components, as well as information on the core facilities available at Tennessee Tech. This page is a work in progress, so please let us know if you think of something to be added.
- Effective October 5, 2020, NSF will only accept biosketch and Current & Pending Support PDFs that are generated through use of an NSF-Approved format (i.e. either SciENcv or NSF fillable PDF).
- Latest Information about Biographical Sketch and Current and Pending Support (Please see note above also in terms of effective date change to Oct. 5)
- NSF Biographical Sketch and Current and Pending Support Fillable PDF Document FAQs
- Using SciENcv [for preparation of biographical sketches] Frequently Asked Questions
- SciENcv Tutorial (YouTube Video)
- 2020 NSF Biosketch Instructions
- NSF Clarification on Synergistic Activities
- NSF Webinar on Approved Formats for Biosketches and Current/Pending Support Sections of Proposals
Blueprint for Pre-Award Assistance
- OneNote Blueprint file (requires TTU username and password to access) | PDF (of the information contained in the OneNote file)
- Grant Budget-Development Worksheet (Excel file, requires TTU username and password to access)
Budgets and Budget Justifications
- Budget Calculator: The Office of Research has prepared an Excel spreadsheet to assist
in preparing budgets. This is a macro-enabled workbook, so you may need to adjust
security settings in your spreadsheet program. You must log into the SharePoint site
using your Tennessee Tech username and password to access the calculator.
- Budget and Budget Justification
1. Budget Justification Template (Word)
2. Further Budget Justification Information (PDF file)
3. UC Berkeley Sample Budget Justification
4. Why are Budget Justifications Important? (Blog from the University of Texas at Dallas)
5. Preparing the Budget (Blog from the University of Texas at Dallas)
- Budget Information from the TN Department of Finance and Administration
1. Department of Finance and Administration Policy
2. Department of Finance and Administration Grant Budget (PDF file)
3. Department of Finance and Administration Grant Budget (with Grantee Match)
Facilities Equipment and Other Resources
- Labs Available for Faculty and Student Use in Research
- 2019 Facilities, Equipment and Other Resources Template
- NSF Facilities, Equipment and Other Resources 2017 Sample
- Tennessee Tech Facilities Example
Goals and Objectives
Letters of Support
- Hazelrigg: Twelve Steps to a Winning Research Proposal
- Getting Started with a Grant
- Why Proposals Aren't Funded