COVID-19 Reporting and Information • HEERF I & II

Frequently Asked Questions

Covid-19 Questions:

  • What steps are being taken to clean all residence hall areas?

    • Community bathrooms in the traditional halls are cleaned at least 4 times a day. (students in New Hall North, New Hall South, and Tech Village apartments are required to clean their own bathrooms).
    • The plan is to have at least one touchless faucet available in each community bathroom.
    • Signs will be clearly visible in bathrooms reminding students to wash hands and explain other bathroom etiquette.
    • Common areas will be cleaned on a normal basis and as needed.
    • All major touch points (door knobs, push-bars, elevators, vending machines, water fill-up dispensers, and entry points) into the halls and Tech Village will be cleaned on a consistent basis.  The goal is to clean at least 4 times a day.
    • All water fountains will be deactivated. Only water fill-up dispenser stations will be functional.

  • What is the policy on personal protective equipment (PPE)?

    Face Masks

    • The wearing of face masks is to protect others.
    • Those who are not fully vaccinated will be encouraged to wear a face covering during indoor activities and classes when social distancing is not in place.
    • Anyone who is fully vaccinated can choose not to wear a face covering outdoors and indoors, including in classrooms and residence halls. 
    • Students will be given reusable masks during check-in.
    • It is recommended that students bring multiple face masks.
    • Students are not required to wear face masks in their residence hall room or Tech Village apartment.
      • The only exception includes:  A University employee is in the space conducting University business (i.e. maintenance, emergency, responding to violations). 


    Hand Sanitizer

    • Washing hands is one of the best ways to protect against COVID-19.
    • When washing hands is not possible, hand sanitizer should be used.
    • Students at check-in will be given a personal hand sanitizer bottle, which can be reusable.
    • Hand sanitizer refill stations will be assigned to each hall lobby and Tech Village Community Center.
    • Students will be able to refill their reusable hand sanitizer bottle as needed.


    Protective Barriers (i.e. Plexiglass)

    • Plexiglass shield barriers will be placed in staff offices (AD, HD, Hall Staff, Main Office, Classrooms, Computer Labs, and Faculty Head offices if possible).
    • Door inserts and other desktop barriers are also setup for certain locations.

  • What social distancing steps are being taken?

    Hall Entrances

    • Entry doors to residence halls and hallway doors to residential areas will remain locked at all times to keep non-residents out.


    General Areas

    • General areas, such as lobbies, study rooms, classrooms, and any other non-residential space, will be evaluated and furniture placed in a way that utilizes social distancing efforts.



    • Stairs should be the first option and used as much as possible.  Only, if necessary, should elevators be used.
    • Jobe Hall and Murphy Hall elevators should use a max occupancy of 1 person at a time due to the sizes of the elevator.
    • New Hall North and New Hall South should use a max occupancy of 2 persons at a time.



    • There will be a max occupancy of 1 person using the kitchen at a time.
    • The kitchens will be locked and checked out with staff during duty starting after 7 PM.  If the kitchen is needed before this time, the hall director will unlock as needed.
    • Student responsible for sanitizing after use.  The staff will check as well and sanitize if needed.


    Laundry Rooms

    • The max occupancy for each laundry room will be determined by the size and location of the laundry room.


    Fire Alarms/Drills

    • We will control the density/social distancing for students returning into the hall from an alarm.
    • Staff will report to exits and direct students where to go until given the all clear to return to the building.
    • Staff will be required to wear PPE.



    • We are providing tours currently for SOAR with social-distancing efforts.
    • However, when the fall starts, we will have a video online showing a traditional hall room and a New Hall room.

  • What happens if a student becomes sick on campus?

    Students Showing Symptoms

    • Per Tennessee Tech Health Services, if a student is sick on campus or showing signs of symptoms, the student should not go to class.
    • The student should stay in room and call health services. 
    • Health Services will give guidance at that point.


    Students Who Test Positive for Covid-19

    • The first recommendation is for the student to return home and isolate, if possible.
    • If the student can’t return home, we will provide isolation spaces.
    • Health Services will maintain contact with the isolated individuals and continue to check on health of the individual(s).
    • Roommate(s) of students who test positive for COVID-10 may also be quarantined.
    • Additional isolation/quarantine spaces will be available as a last resort.
    • Thermometers – Health Services plans on issuing personal thermometers to students who test positive and are quarantined.
    • Trash – Students will bag trash and leave outside room for cleaning services to pick up.  Cleaning services will provide extra trash bags.
    • Meals - Dining services will deliver meals as needed to the hall.
      • If a student has a meal plan, the meal plan will be charged to the student.
      • If student has special dietary needs, that will need to be communicated to Dining Services.
      • Housing staff will help deliver the meals to rooms and set them outside of the rooms or have certain pick-up locations for meals depending on the situation.

  • What can I do to prepare if I get sick?

    Students may want to have a go bag ready to take with them.


    What Is a Go Bag?

    • Go Bags are a collection of items that you can take on-the-go if you need to leave in a hurry.


    What Are Some Basic Items that Should be In a Go Bag?

    • Personal items and toiletries (eyeglasses, toothbrush, etc.)
    • Clothes (at least a couple of days worth)
    • Shoes

  • What is the check-in process going to look like?


    • Students are not required to have a COVID-19 test taken before arrival per Tennessee Tech Health Services.
    • It is recommended that students bring their own masks, personal or contactless thermometer, and Tylenol.
    • Students, prior to arrival, should have detailed discussions with their roommate(s) (if applicable) about cleaning procedures, self-distancing, community mitigation efforts, and other measures that will reduce the spread of COVID-19.
      • We will require students to complete roommate agreements upon arrival.
    • We ask that parents help by having discussions with their student(s) about the seriousness of COVID-19, ways to keep them safe, and ways to help mitigate the spread.
    • Students and their guests (help with check-ins) should not come to campus if they show symptoms of COVID-19 or have tested positive for COVID-19 and have not received a negative test after recovery. 
    • Symptoms including but not limited to:  Fever greater than 100.4 degrees, shortness of breath, sore throat, cough, body aches, chills, loss of taste or smell, and other respiratory symptoms.
    • Please stay at home and follow your local or state Health Department guidance as well as CDC guidelines at:
    • Call us at 931-372-3414 or email us at to schedule a check-in time after recovery or quarantine is completed.  Otherwise, follow the required check-in procedures below.



    • To help with density and social distancing efforts, the main check-in dates will be Sunday, August 16 to Thursday, August 20.
    • The adjusted check-in process will allow us to check-in 300 to 400 students per day across campus in multiple halls and on multiple floors.
    • The times will be 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM for each of the days listed above.
    • Students will be provided soon with information on how to schedule an appointment for check-in.



    • Students will be given a specific date and time to check-in.
    • Students will be provided soon with information on how to schedule an appointment for check-in.
    • Students will be allowed two guests to help with check-in.
    • Guests are allowed 4 hours to help with move-in beginning at the start of the check-in.
    • Students and guests will be required to wear masks at all times in the residence halls during the check-in/move-in process.

  • What is the guest/visitation policy?

    See guest policy in Covid-19 section of FAQ for up to date policy.

    • Guests of residential students that do not reside in the residence hall and all Tennessee Tech University non-residential students will not be allowed into the residence halls (general common areas or residence hall rooms).
      • This includes parent/family members.
      • Only at check-in are parent/family members allowed in the residence halls.
    • Residential students may have visitors that already live within the residence hall and will continue to abide by the guest/visitation policy.
    • No overnight guests will be allowed.

  • What happens if students are sent home early?

    • We do not know what the future will bring and therefore what plans will be decided on from the administration.
    • This includes, housing, dining, and refund decisions.
    • This will also include continuing to live on campus if immediate check-out is not possible.
    • Once a decision is made, it will be communicated to students and the community.

  • What other recommendations does Tennessee Tech have?

    • Flu Vaccine - Tennessee Tech Health Services will recommend flu vaccine when it becomes available.
    • COVID-19 Testing - Tennessee Tech Health Services anticipates testing in the Fall for symptomatic patients.
      • They are also anticipating having the availability to do surveillance testing for anyone who wants testing at various times through-out the semester. 
    • Staying on Campus - We encourage students to stay on-campus as much as possible to prevent contact with someone that is COVID-19 positive and bringing it back on campus.

  • How do I find out about any updates?

    • Residential Life will provide frequent reminders on proper hygiene practices and COVID-19 mitigation efforts.
    • Tennessee Tech also maintains a webpage that is updated frequently with the latest announcements related to COVID-19. Please visit: for more information.

Application/Deposit Questions:

  • How do I apply for Housing?

    An application must be completed through the application portal found on the application page.

  • Is there a deadline to apply for housing?

    NOTE:  Generally, there really is no deadline to complete an application, but assignments are completed based on application date and availability.  However, there are deadlines to receive refunds on deposits.

    The only real deadline for Fall applicants are for returning residents receiving priority for Fall assignments and is discussed below.

    Fall New Applicants (Not living on campus in the Spring):  This is defined as students who do not currently live on campus during the spring semester and will not go through room renewal.  For these students, there is no official deadline to apply for housing.  However, assignments are made based on application date and space availability.

    Fall Returning Residents (Currently living on campus in the Spring):  This is defined as students who are currently living on campus during the spring semester and will go through the room renewal process and choose rooms, etc.  This is the only time returning residents will be given priority assignment consideration over new applicants.  If this deadline period is missed, the student will be considered with the new students based on application date.

  • Is there an application fee or deposit required?

    Yes, there is a $200 deposit required for all applications. 

    The $200 is made by debit/credit card only within the application portal and deposits can't be made at the TTU Bursar's Office.

    The $200 deposit is essentially a prepayment/investment that will be applied to your total housing cost for the first semester of any application.

    If you reside in campus housing during the fall semester and choose to extend your contract to cover spring semester, then no additional prepayment is due for spring.  If you do not reside in campus housing during the fall semester, you are required to pay the $200 prepayment when submitting a spring only application.

  • Is the housing deposit refundable?

    The deposit is refundable up to certain dates depending on the application and if the student is eligible to cancel.

    In order for eligible students to receive a refund of the deposit, all cancellations must be made in writing by:

    May 1 for all Fall or Academic Year applications

    December 1 for Spring applications

    May 1 for all Summer applications

    In order to cancel, we must receive cancellation verification in writing (an email including name and T-Number from the Tech email address to or complete the "Request for Release and/or Cancellation Form" found HERE.

    IMPORTANT NOTE:  The $200 deposit becomes non-refundable and will be forfeited if the cancellation occurs after the above dates for all situations.  The non-refundable/forfeited deposit includes cancellations for all complete or incomplete applications in which the cancellation occurred after the above dates.

    Refunds are subject to the terms and conditions found in the Student Housing Policy.

  • Can I cancel my application?

    An application can be cancelled before the start of the application/semester period as long as the student has not checked into the room/apartment and the student is eligible to cancel.  Once a student has checked into the room/apartment by signing an inventory form and receiving a key, the application agreement contract has started.

    In order to cancel, we must receive cancellation verification in writing (an email including name and T-Number from the Tech email address to or complete the "Request for Release and/or Cancellation Form" found HERE.

    The deposit is refundable up to certain dates depending on the application and if the student is eligible to cancel.

    In order for eligible students to receive a refund of the deposit, all cancellations must be made in writing by:

    May 1 for all Fall or Academic Year applications

    December 1 for Spring applications

    May 1 for all Summer applications

    IMPORTANT NOTE:  The $200 deposit becomes non-refundable and will be forfeited if the cancellation occurs after the above dates for all situations.  The non-refundable/forfeited deposit includes cancellations for all complete or incomplete applications in which the cancellation occurred after the above dates.

    Cancellations are subject to the terms and conditions found in the Student Housing Policy.

  • What is room renewal?

    Room Renewal is a priority process for residents who live on campus in the Spring completing Fall applications for residence hall rooms and apartments.

    The process is announced in February/March of each year.  This announcement includes complete details on how to reapply for campus housing for Fall.  This information will also be posted on the reslife website, posted in each residence hall, advertised on our reslife social media pages, and floor/community meetings conducted with the residents.

    Whatever is not chosen by returning residents will be offered to new applicants.

  • Can I commute to Tennessee Tech?

    Tennessee Tech University has an on campus requirement.  All freshmen are required to live on campus for two semesters of the academic year. 

    However, students may commute from a permanent parental or legal guardian residence which is within a fifty mile radius.  To help students understand, we give the example:  This means where you went to High School while living with your parents/legal guardians and not a secondary or vacation home of your parents/legal guardians.

    For more details please visit our Student Housing Policy.

Assignment Questions:

  • When do we receive our assignment email?

    Residence Halls:  Assignment emails will be sent to the students’ Tennessee Tech email addresses around mid to late June for fall only and academic year assignments; in late December to early January for spring assignments; and mid to late May for summer assignments.

    The assignment email will provide the student with the assigned hall name and room number, roommate's name and email address and a check list of what to bring to campus.

    For the Fall 2020 semester, a separate email will be sent out at the end of July detailing check-in information.

    Tech Village Apartments:  Assignment discussions via the housing reservationist will happen in office for students who can come in for a meeting or over the phone for those who can't. 

    A follow-up email will be sent at the conclusion of the conversation with assignment, roommate's name, cost, check-in date and an attachment of important Tech Village information.

  • Am I required to have a meal plan?

    All residents with a freshman classification and living in the residence halls must purchase a meal plan for there first two semesters at Tennessee Technological University.

    Information regarding meal plans can be found on the TTU Dining Services website HERE.

  • When is check-in time?

    Residence Halls: 

    For the Fall 2020 semester, a separate email from their assignment email will be sent out to students with their check-in time.

    For the spring semester, check-in is typically the Tuesday before classes begin for the spring semester.  The summer sessions vary.

    Tech Village Apartments:  

    Tech Village apartment terms do not run with the academic calendar.  Your check-in date will be discussed with a housing reservationist. 

    Fall Semester:  August 1 to December 31.  If you are not staying in the apartment for the Spring semester (beginning January 1), you must be out by December 15.  We will credit the remaining balance from December 15 to December 31.

    Spring Semester:  January 1 to May 31.  If you are not staying in the apartment for the Summer semester (beginning June 1), you must be out by May 15.  We will credit the remaining balance from May 15 to May 31.

    Summer Semester:  June 1 to July 31.  If you are not staying in the apartment for the Fall semester (beginning August 1), you must be out by July 15.  We will credit the remaining balance from July 15 to July 31.

  • Do the residence halls stay open during breaks/holidays?

    Residence halls remain open during fall break, Thanksgiving break, and spring break periods.  Although the Office of Residential Life is closed during the Christmas/New Years holiday period, students who need special housing arrangements during this time may be offered housing at an additional cost.  

    Special housing arrangements may be offered for semester break periods in between semesters as well.  There will be an additional daily charge for occupancy during the semester breaks.

    Students in apartments may stay during any of the breaks as long as they hold a housing contract for each semester.

    For Interim/Break housing for students in the residence halls, please visit the application page.

  • Can I buy out my room as a double as a single?

    For Fall Hall Applicants:  Room buyouts are only considered after the school year has started and all No-Shows have been processed.  We have to make sure every student has a bed that needs one.  Students interested in buyouts will need to see their Hall Director after the first week of school.

    For Spring Hall Applicants:  Generally, the same approach is used as for the fall applicants.  However, if we know a student wants a buyout and space is open, we typically have more flexibility during the spring because of student withdrawals, cancellations, etc.

    For Summer Hall Applicants:  The application will have an option if you want to do a buyout and generally we are able to assign these at the start of the term. 

    IMPORTANT NOTE:  Residential Life reserves the right to take back a buyout if a space is needed for a student.  We will reverse buyouts by those with the latest application dates first.

    Refer to the rates for all buyouts.

  • What do I need to do if I withdraw from school?

    To officially withdraw from school, please visit the Registrar's Office or complete the University Withdrawal From found HERE:

    Housing is provided for students only.  Once you officially withdraw from school, you are no longer a Tennessee Tech student.  If you withdraw from school, you must check out of your room/apartment within 48 hours.  If you need more time, you will need to discuss with your Hall Director.

  • What is room consolidation?

    Important Note:  This process is only for the Residence Halls only.  It is not for Tech Village apartments.

    If a student is not assigned a roommate or the roommate moves out of the room, the student remaining in the room will undergo a room consolidation process if the Office of Residential Life chooses to do so. 

    It is important that we do this for a number of reasons:

    We need to have additional open rooms to allow students that would like to make a room change and/or get a new roommate the opportunity to do so.

    We need to have more open rooms to allow students who want to have private/single rooms the opportunity to request one.

    We need to be fair to those residents who paid for a double as a single room versus those that are living in a double room without a roommate and not buying out his/her room.

    With this in mind, the student will need to do one of the following:

    Find a new roommate of his/her choice to move in (this can be anyone of choice or someone else that does not have a roommate).

    Move in with someone else that does not have a roommate (this can be anyone of choice, provided there is space or someone is willing to trade rooms).

    Buy out the room, a double as a single room.  Rates can be found HERE.

  • Is there Co-Ed Residence Halls?

    Yes.  All but two of our residence halls are co-ed.  Halls that are co-ed are gender specific by floor.  Example:  Male students may be on first floor and female students on fifth floor, etc.

    Co-Ed Halls Include:  Ellington/Warf, Maddux/McCord, New Hall North, New Hall South, MS Cooper/Pinkerton and Jobe/Murphy

  • Is there gender specific Residence Halls?

    Yes.  Two of our residence halls are gender specific.

    Gender Specific Halls Include: 

    Cooper/Dunn- Female Only Renovated Hall
    Browning/Evins - Male Only Renovated Hall

  • Is there specialty housing Residence Halls?

    Yes.  We have specialty housing.  You can review below:

    Engineering Housing (Located in Maddux/McCord Halls):  This is also home to the Engineering Village.  Engineering specialty housing is open to all College of Engineering majors.  You must have a College of Engineering major to live here.

    WISE Program (Located Fifth Floor of Maddux/McCord Halls):  Since this floor is in Maddux/McCord Halls, it is also home to the Engineering Village. 

    This program is for female students only and the WISE floor is dedicated to Women in Science or Engineering.  Not only can women who are engineering majors live there but also those who have a specific science major which include one of these five specifically:  Biology, Chemistry, Geoscience, Physics, and Math. 

    Honors Housing (Located in Murphy Hall):  This is also home to the Honors Village.  You must be a part of the Honors Program to live here.  The Honors Program decides who is placed in Murphy Hall (Honors Village), decides roommate matching, and decides room assignments.  All information is provided to our department for placing into the housing system.

    If you are interested in living in Murphy Hall during the academic year (not available during the summer), you must meet the criteria from the Honors Program and complete the following:

    1. Complete a housing application and submit $200 prepayment during the application.

    2. Follow the instructions on the Honors Program Housing website HERE.

    International Housing (Located in MS Cooper/Pinkerton Halls):  This is also home to the Global Village.  This residence hall is not just for international students.  Students who live in MS Cooper or Pinkerton Halls agree to potentially have an International roommate or if already an International student agree to have an American roommate.

    Villages:  To review the village program, you can visit HERE.   

Financial Aid/Payment Questions:

  • Can I use my financial aid for my housing deposit?

    Your financial aid or scholarship allotment cannot be used for your housing deposit/prepayment.  The deposit has to be made with a debit/credit card within the application on the application portal. 

    If this deposit/prepayment creates an overpayment on your student account, the Bursar's Office will process any excess aid and give refunds (if applicable).

  • How and when are charges placed on my account?

    We place the full rent of a residence hall room or apartment on your account.

    Typically, the Bursar's Office wants student fees on student's accounts at the following times:

    Fall Semester:  Charges are usually placed around mid July

    Spring Semester:  Charges are usually placed late November/early December

    Summer Semester: Charges are usually placed mid April

    The Bursar's Office has the right to change fee dates at any time.

  • Can I make payments on my housing cost?

    The Bursar's Office does allow students (if approved) to make installment payments throughout the semester.  This payment plan is called a Deferred Payment Plan.  

    You can review more information on the Bursar's website on the payments page.

    For further assistance, please call their office at (931) 372-3311.

Hall Room/Apartment Questions:

  • What are some of the safety features on campus?

    First and foremost a student must take ownership in his/her own safety.  In the residence halls, each hall area is secured by a swipe card door that only allows students living in that building to have access to the building.  At midnight, all exterior doors are locked whereby only a student residing in the building can use his/her Eagle card to gain access to the building.  Each student is issued a room key that works on the entry door to his/her room.

    Other safety items provided are:

    Emergency call boxes strategically placed on campus

    Exterior phones at every residence hall entrance

    A University police officer dedicated to the halls

    A hall staff member on duty in each building every night

    Security cameras in and around halls and community areas in Tech Village


  • Am I required to clean my own room/apartment?


    Although custodial workers are employed in all residence halls to keep public areas and community bathrooms clean, you are expected to clean your own room.  A New Hall North or New Hall South resident is responsible for cleaning his/her own room and bathroom.  Residents in our apartments are also required to keep their apartment cleaned.

    Housing staff will do monthly health and safety checks.

  • Can I have overnight guests?

    Same gender overnight visits are allowed.  You and your guest must register with the hall staff and it must be approved by your roommate (if applicable).  A guest of a resident is not permitted to stay for longer than two (2) nights per week. 

    Students residing in University housing are responsible for assuring that his/her guest(s) is aware of and complies with all policies and procedures of the University residence halls.

    Cohabitation is prohibited.

    Please review the "Guests/Visitation" policies in the Guide For Successful Living for more details on guests, visitation, and cohabitation.

  • Do I need insurance?

    The University does not assume responsibility at any time for the private property of its students and is not liable for the loss or damage of any article or personal property anywhere on the premises.  You or your parents are encouraged to carry appropriate insurance to cover your personal belongings.

    The company NSSI does have College Student Personal Property Insurance available to purchase at the link:

  • Can I bring a heater or air conditioner?


    These appliances are not allowed in the residence halls due to the potential for overload of the electrical system and the potential of fire.  However, standard box/window fans are permitted.

    Please also keep in mind that all rooms and apartments on campus have appropriate systems for heating and cooling.

  • Is there a curfew?

    There is no curfew. 

    You may come and go as you please, although all exterior doors are locked at midnight (earlier during break periods/holidays) in the residence halls.  Please carry your Eagle ID Card and room key with you at all times.

  • What personalizations can we do to our room/apartment?

    Please review the online Guide for Successful Living under "Your Room" for information on what furniture is provided as well as other room personalization information.  We encourage each student to work with his/her roommate(s) in designing and decorating the room/apartment within the guidelines set by the Office of Residential Life.

    If you have other questions, you can consult with your RA or Hall Director.

  • What do I do if I need something fixed in my room/apartment?

    If you are experiencing problem(s) in your room or in any public areas please contact the Office of Residential Life or your housing staff. 

    A student may also choose to submit a work order online.

    In the event that an emergency repair is needed during the evening, holiday or weekend hours, contact the RA or Hall Director immediately.

  • Can I smoke or use tobacco products on campus?


    Tennessee Tech's campus became a non-smoking, tobacco-free campus as of January 1, 2010.  Students, faculty, staff and all visitors no longer are allowed to smoke or use any tobacco products in all university buildings, on all university grounds, Tennessee Tech affiliated off-campus locations and facilities, and all state vehicles.  Smoking outdoors on campus will not be allowed.

    Tobacco use is only permitted in private vehicles.

Experience Tech For Yourself

Visit us to see what sets us apart.

Schedule Your Visit

Mailing Address:

Tennessee Tech University
Office of Residential Life
Campus Box 5016
Cookeville, TN 38505-0001

Street Address:

1005 North Dixie Avenue
Cookeville, TN 38505
MS Cooper Hall, Rm 217

Office Hours:

8am to 4:30pm CST
Phone: 931-372-3414
Fax: 931-372-3772