SBC Capital Projects
Capital Projects Overview
Capital projects include any project that is a Capital Improvement or Capital Maintenance, whether overseen by the state or performed as a gift in place.
Tennessee Technological University is designated as a State Procurement Agency (SPA) by the State Building Commission (SBC). The Tennessee Tech Capital Projects & Planning department is responsible for coordinating, managing, and overseeing design and construction of capital projects, as well as acquisition, disposal, and lease of property, for the campus. As Tennessee Tech is considered State property, no improvement of such or demolition of structures may occur without approval by the SBC.
Our department ensures compliance with policies and procedures established by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission (THEC), the Office of the State Architect (OSA), and the SBC.
Some of the capital project management duties for which Tennessee Tech Capital Projects & Planning is responsible:
- Administer capital projects greater than $100,000.
- Solicit and select designers for projects in accordance with SBC and OSA policies.
- Prepare and execute all agreements with designers and contractors.
- Coordinate with campus stakeholders through design and construction process.
- Manage revisions to a project scope or budget which require SBC approvals.
- Prepare and submit capital budget requests to THEC for new improvement and maintenance projects annually.
- Manage and report land acquisitions, disposals, and leases of real property for the university through the SBC.
- Prepare quarterly reporting information on capital projects and submit to OSA.