Counseling and Psychology
- - - - - -
Have you ever wondered how the mind works or why people act the way they do?
Do you have a desire to help people solve problems?
If questions like these pique your interest, we have the curriculum and a range of field experiences to lead you to successful and gratifying career opportunities.
December 1: Application Deadline for Fall 2023 Ph.D. Admissions
- - - - - -
About the Department
- Our programs are some of the most popular major choices on campus despite the demanding curricula.
- Students prepare for careers in a wide variety of fields in addition to psychology ranging from law enforcement, business, medicine, law, education and management.
- Our majors are immersed in research projects, formal classroom and laboratory training, and practicums to gain field experience. The Psychology Club invites regular guest speakers and takes field trips to conventions.
Personalize Your Major
- Our department has 15 faculty members who work hand-in-hand with our majors.
- Working closely with faculty creates an apprenticeship-like experience to build upon.
- Majors can expect research projects, field and hands-on experience, and individualized mentoring.
- Students have access to fully equipped laboratories and may attend regional and national conventions.
- They will develop critical thinking and problem solving skills necessary to compete and be successful in any professional venture.
Graduate Programs (M.A. and Ed.S.)
- Our graduate programs provide training to assume professional roles in the mental health field as counselors, school psychologists, or supervisors.
- Several concentrations are designed to lead to licensure in Tennessee.