Military & Veteran Affairs

Frequently Asked Questions

For information on how changes to monthly housing allowance rates may impact you please see the link below: 

Forever GI Bill®: Student Guide

  • Do I have to fill out paperwork every semester that I plan on using benefits?
    Yes, every semester that you attend, you will have to fill out a Certification Request Form and the Deferment Request Form. It is best to get these turned in prior to the term beginning to avoid being purged from your courses or incurring a late fee. The sooner you turn in your paperwork to our office, the more quickly you will be paid. If you wait until after the term begins, your payment will be delayed. 

  • How long will it take until I get paid?
    It can take anywhere from 4-6 weeks from the date we submit your certification for the VA to process your enrollment. We always encourage students to utilize the Student GI Bill® hotline at 888-442-4551. If it has been longer than 4-6 weeks, please feel free to stop by our office and we can contact the VA for you.

  • What if I receive a failing grade?
    Since you received a punitive grade for the course, you are not required to repay any GI Bill® money that you received for the course. You may attempt the course again in order to receive credit towards graduation or increase you GPA, and you may receive GI Bill® payment for retaking the course. DO NOT STOP ATTENDING! If you stop attending, you will be reported as such and you will incur a debt with the VA. It is VERY important that you continue attending the course. 

  • Can I withdraw or drop a course?

    You can withdraw from the course before the term begins without penalty. If you wait until the beginning of the term, even on the first day of the term, your course change/withdrawal will generate a debt. You can make a course change but it must remain in your program of study and you are still at risk of receiving a debt if the tuition/fees are not the same. The best way to avoid this would be to contact the School Certifying Official prior to any course changes. 

  • What is the difference between part time and full time?

    Undergraduate students:

    Full-time—twelve or more credit hours

    Three-quarter time—nine to eleven credit hours

    Half-time—six to eight credit hours

    Less than half-time—one to five credit hours

    Graduate students:

    Full-time—nine or more credit hours

    Three-quarter time—six to eight credit hours

    Half-time—three to five credit hours

    Less than half-time—one or two credit hours 

    *****Summer rate of pursuit will vary depending on the length of the term. For additional information, please contact the School Certifying Official.

  • If I am Chapter 33 and I fall below full-time, will I still receive my full housing stipend?

    If you are using Post-9/11 GI Bill® Chapter 33 benefits, your housing stipend will be reduced to your rate of pursuit. You cannot fall below 6 hours and still receive a housing stipend. It is important to understand the credit hour requirement and how it will affect your stipend. Please talk with us prior to dropping a course. 


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). 

Supporting Military Service members and Families

Visit us to see what sets us apart.

Schedule Your Visit