COVID-19 Reporting and Information • HEERF I & II

Military & Veteran Affairs

New Students 

New Student

Applying for and receiving your benefits is a simple process. Please follow the guidelines below to begin utilizing your benefit. If you should need assistance, please feel free to reach out to contact us.

As a reminder, Service members should speak with their Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within their Military Service prior to enrolling in an institution.

Step 1: Apply for benefits

Whether you are a veteran or dependent you will need to complete an application for veteran educational benefits. It is relatively simple and should only take 15-20 minutes to complete. We recommend that you have your bank information such as routing and account numbers handy because you can enroll in direct deposit within the application. You do not have to upload a DD-214 or any documents.

Once the application is submitted you should receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) within 3-4 weeks via regular mail. The office of Military and Veterans Affairs will need a copy of that to get you ready to start classes but keep in mind that you DO NOT have to wait to apply to TN Tech or meet with an advisor and choose classes prior to receiving your COE.  To apply for your benefits visit the website at the link below:

Step 2: Submit Documentation to TN Tech Veterans Affairs Office

To certify your enrollment we will need the following documents: ·

1. Copy of your Certificate of Eligibility ·

2. Most recent DD-214, Member 4 copy preferably (disregard if you are still serving on active duty) ·

3. Copy of your Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) *for Guard and Reserve Members only, check with your Unit Administrator to receive a copy ·

4. Copy of enlistment educational kicker, if applicable ·

5. Certification Request Form (CRF) This is the form you will use to submit classes which you are scheduled for each term to the TN Tech VA Office. It can be found in our office or online at: TN Tech Certification Request Form.

6. Tuition and Fee Deferment Request. This form allows you to defer 100% of the costs of tuition and fees until the end of a term rather than paying up front. This form can be found in our office or online at: TN Tech Tuition and Fee Deferment Request Form.

Once all the documents listed above are received, your certifying official here at TN Tech will review your eligibility and ensure that the classes you've chosen are within veterans affairs guidelines. Keep in mind that VA educational benefits will only cover courses required for your degree program.

Step 3: Go To Class

We strongly recommend that you make every effort to not miss class. Please note that a failure for non-attendance will result in a debt on your student account. If you feel as though you may be at risk to fail a course for academic reasons, please contact our office so that we may assist with resources here on campus.

Always notify our office if you make any changes to your schedule or degree program, as that will need to be communicated to the VA to avoid overpayment or underpayment to TN Tech.

MGIB-Active Duty (Chapter 30) and MGIB Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606) beneficiaries must verify their enrollment on the last day of each month in which they are enrolled. This can be done by calling 1-877-823-2378.

Supporting Military Service members and Families

Visit us to see what sets us apart.

Schedule Your Visit