Military & Veteran Affairs

Transfer Students

Transfer Student


We are honored that you've chosen to continue your education at TN Tech. Updating and receiving your benefits is a simple process. If you have used a portion of your VA educational benefits at another school, please follow the guidelines below to transfer your remaining benefits to Tennessee Tech.

If you need assistance at any point in the process, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.


Step 1: Update your benefits

If you have used your veterans benefits at another college or university you will need to update your application to let the VA know that you will be using your remaining benefits at a different school. The process is relatively simple and should only take about 15-20 minutes. We recommend that you review your address and bank information at this time. You do not have to upload a DD-214 or any documents.

Please click on the button below to update your benefits at the US Department of Veterans Affairs website:


In the section where it asks for the school's name and address, please use:

Tennessee Technological University
805 Quadrangle 
Cookeville, TN 38505


After you have submitted your application, please save or print out the confirmation page and forward a copy to us at

Your updated Certificate of Eligibility (COE) will take another 30 days or so to arrive in the mail.

Please note that you DO NOT have to wait to receive your Certificate of Eligibility before applying for admission to Tennessee Tech, talking to an advisor, or choosing your classes. 


Step 2: Submit documents to us

In approximately 30 days after applying to the VA, you should receive an updated Certificate of Eligibility (COE) via regular mail. The VA may also send you a copy via e-mail.

Our office will need a copy of your COE as soon as you receive it.

In the meantime, please also submit your most recent DD-214 (disregard if you are still serving on active duty).

If you are a Guard or Reserve member, we will also need a copy of your Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) as well as a copy of your enlistment educational kicker, if applicable. Check with your Unit Administrator to receive copies of these documents.

Once we have a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility and your DD-214, our office will not need anything else from you until you have registered for classes.

All documents can be e-mailed to They may also be dropped off in person. 


Step 3: Once you have registered for classes

Every semester, after you have registered for classes, you must complete two forms and submit them to our office in order for your VA educational benefits to be processed - the Certification Request Form (CRF) and the Deferment Request Form (DRF).

The Certification Request Form tells us which classes you will be taking so that we can certify those credit hours with the VA in order for them to pay for those classes. The Deferment Request Form is to defer any charges you may incur until the end of the term, because the VA can take some time to process the payments.

It is important to submit these forms in a timely manner to ensure that your benefits are not delayed. You can e-mail the completed forms to or drop them off in person.

You can find the fillable-PDF forms below:


Once these forms are received, your certifying official here at TN Tech will review your eligibility and ensure that the classes you've chosen are within VA guidelines. Please note that VA educational benefits will only cover courses required for your degree program.

You must report to all enrollment changes to our office immediately, including change in credits, course withdrawal, incomplete grades, and change of major and address. We are required to report these changes to the VA.


Step 4: Go to class

We strongly recommend that you make every effort to not miss class. Please note that a failure for non-attendance must be reported to the VA and will result in a debt on your student account. If you feel as though you may be at risk to fail a course for academic reasons, please contact our office so that we may assist with resources here on campus.

Always notify our office if you make any changes to your schedule or degree program. We are required to report them to the VA.



MGIB-Active Duty (Chapter 30) and MGIB Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606) beneficiaries must verify their enrollment on the last day of each month in which they are enrolled. This can be done by using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) website at or calling the VA toll free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-VA-ECERT (1-877-823-2378).

Supporting Military Service members and Families

Visit us to see what sets us apart.

Schedule Your Visit